Author Topic: OEM Tyres MY19 model  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
OEM Tyres MY19 model
« on: 17 February 2019, 10:36 »
Whilst waiting patiently for my GTI in March I’ve been looking at some soft GTI p0rn on AutoTrader and couldn’t help but notice all the 2019 models with 19” appear to be fitted with Pirelli P-Zero rather than Bridgestones. The 18” all appear to be Bridgestones though. Can anyone confirm this or do VW use a variety of brands and it’s just the luck of the draw? I’m hoping I don’t get Bridgestones based on what others have said on here. I’ve had P-Zeros before I really liked them albeit on 17” and a different brand.
« Last Edit: 17 February 2019, 10:37 by Mutley75 »
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
Re: OEM Tyres MY19 model
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2019, 10:47 »
That's correct, 19's get P-Zeros, and 18's get Bridgestones.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2019, 10:50 »
Excellent. I think. Any opinions on those when fitted to the Golf? I found them really grippy on a previous car, with average durability.
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2019, 10:55 »
Excellent. I think. Any opinions on those when fitted to the Golf? I found them really grippy on a previous car, with average durability.
There's one school of thought on here that the P-Zeros are dangerous in anything other than a tropical heat country, and if you drive on them you will instantly crash your car.

There is however a sensible school of thought that says they are decent summer tyres, and are also perfectly good enough for the winter months and weather conditions if you drive sensibly & properly. I've done 1200 miles on mine so far in the UK winter (snow, ice, rain etc) and as of yet I've not crashed my car.

Read of that what you will.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2019, 12:33 »
I had P-Zeros on mine and having rotated them a few times changed all four at 20k. They aren't a bad tyre but I did get a fair bit of tramping with them, even in the dry. I changed to Michelin PS4S and they are much better, I wouldn't go back to Pirellis unless they were cheap and I was skint.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2019, 14:25 »
I'm probably the only one on here who thought the factory Bridgestones were absolutely fine. Never had any loss of grip (apart from snow) no tramping, no sliding, perfectly good tyre. On the other hand I think the Michelin PS4 I've now got on are crap. Traction control light flickering on which I never got with the Bridgestones, car just feels very loose and squidgy and not a very good driving experience at all.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2019, 14:46 »
I'm probably the only one on here who thought the factory Bridgestones were absolutely fine. Never had any loss of grip (apart from snow) no tramping, no sliding, perfectly good tyre. On the other hand I think the Michelin PS4 I've now got on are crap. Traction control light flickering on which I never got with the Bridgestones, car just feels very loose and squidgy and not a very good driving experience at all.
I'm with you, nothing particularly wrong with them as far as I'm concerned.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline watchdog

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2019, 15:18 »

I dont mind Bridgestones.  Had them on previous Audi models before the GTI and have no complaints, and i also like the lip which gives excellent protection to the wheels.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2019, 15:42 »
Think the major problem with Bridgestones is that they refuse to wear out, just getting harder as they get older. My fronts lasted over 24K miles, by which time they were pretty rubbish, grip wise, but still legal - just. I really only kept them so long because I was uncertain about changing the car and that uncertainty meant I replaced them with 2 more. I’ve never had any real problem with them TBH, but they are much better when new!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2019, 16:16 »
The stock Pirelli P-Zeros are average but not the best tyre in the wet or cold, there’s definitely worse tyres out there. I replaced mine with Goodyear Eagle F1 A3 and the Goodyear are miles better in the wet and don’t spin up as freely. There’s no way I would waste the Pirellis though and I would be happy to run them until they needed replacing, there’s just better tyres out there.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 15:07 by hog_hedge »