Author Topic: Advice on the engine reliability + service schedule  (Read 3840 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Advice on the engine reliability + service schedule
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2019, 19:11 »
Oh and you can't retrofit/upgrade the stereo unit with another VW OEM one. So if it doesn't have sat nav and you want sat nav then you never will unless you buy one of the Kenwood units that are compatible... but they really suck IMHO.

If it has satnav, then you may need to pay VW for map updates as you only get them for the first three years.

A 2014 car doesn't have satnav with live traffic data (only RDS, which is sh!t in the UK) and cannot use carplay/android auto (that was later and cannot be retrofitted)
You don't just have the Kenwood option, quite a few places can supply and retro fit OEM sat nav. And also nav updates are five years not three.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2019, 21:05 »
You don't just have the Kenwood option, quite a few places can supply and retro fit OEM sat nav. And also nav updates are five years not three.

Anyone ever done it? I've not seen it on here...

The 5 year free updates I'm fairly sure was a later thing and I suspect the unit is coded with the limitation...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2019, 22:35 »
The five years of updates has been in place since 2013 and was confirmed in VW Driver magazine. I don't know of anyone who has tried to update a unit and has found they can't. Plenty of retro fitters about who can fit and code and remove component protection and activate Android and Apple car play. Just because it hasn't been done to someone's car on here doesn't mean it hasn't been done.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Rhoderunner

• Just got here
Re: Advice on the engine reliability + Map Updates
« Reply #13 on: 20 January 2019, 10:55 »
Hi All, this is my first post, so go easy on me  :smiley:, I bought my Golf GTI PP (2013) in October 2017 with 56K on the clock, it was my (almost) perfect spec, Pure White, 3 Door, Pan Roof, Full Leather, Discovery Pro, DCC, Park Assist (only used a couple of times) absolutely love the car, just wish it had rear camera and dynaudio, if I could retrofit a MIB2 system with USB I would seriously consider it
To come back to the original post, I have just installed the latest 2019 (175) maps with no issues at all which is over 5 years from first registration
Thanks
Ian   
Pure White 3 Dr Golf GTi PP (DSG) Vienna Leather Pan Roof DCC Park Assist Discover Pro

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Advice on the engine reliability + Map Updates
« Reply #14 on: 20 January 2019, 15:22 »
if I could retrofit a MIB2 system with USB I would seriously consider it

There is a helpful contributor to the Octavia 3 section of the Briskoda forum called SashaGrace that may be able to give you some pointers on that. If you explain to her what you have and what you are trying to achieve she seems to know her stuff and will tell you what is and what isn't possible.

She has already done a list of OEM mods as long as your arm to her car https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/442148-sasha’s-octavia-vrs/?page=1

Lots of Octavia and Golf parts are the same or very similar under the branding, although they do sometimes go by different names.
7.5 GTD

Offline indigofever

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2019, 19:03 »
I’ve done 121k in my GTD. only things that it’s needed are new rear shocks at 80k, and the trip computer screen occasionally goes blank (done it about 5 times). Otherwise, bulletproof.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 21 January 2019, 10:58 »
Mk7's were from end of 2013, so you are pretty near the beginning with a 2014 plate one.

Therefore nobody can predict the future, because we don't have any experience with how these age yet.

There are a few things that we on here have seen go wrong fairly regularly with the Mk7, the main one being the water pump...however that's very much a case of it goes wrong when it goes wrong and with little warning.

Will it last you 4 years and another 60k on top of the current 60k? Maybe - but I'd say that about any car, not just a Golf.

You are about to push a 5 year car probably to its end of life... I'd imagine there will be some bumps along the way.

9 years and 120k is most definitely not end of life.  My daily is a 13 year old Megane with 150k. 
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #17 on: 22 January 2019, 13:10 »
2014 PP GTI and I've put ~40k on it so far (brought at ~30k) and not once has it missed a beat. Keep on top of servicing and the like and it'll serve you until the end of time. They are solid.

Mines a manual, 3 door, cloth, basically a standard GTI. I have no need for fancy roofs, or satnav as my phone can do that just as well (plus no weird shark fin aerial on the roof). Good connectivity through bluetooth and SD cards. E-Diff is bloody awesome (just make sure you get it serviced - I've had a quote of £120 from VW so not the £300 stated above)

Only electrical issues were drivers locking module being intermittent, and fuel filler solenoid. Got them both done under warranty.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #18 on: 22 January 2019, 13:31 »
Another negative for the Kenwood/Garmin aftermarjet navigation upgrade is that you can't fit it to cars equipped with Dynaudio.

My 2014 GTI PP has been almost faultless, but it has only just ticked over 25k miles so not in the same league as the previous posters.

Mine needed a water pump (just) within the warranty period which was taken care of without any issues and apart from that nothing. Mine's lowered on Eibach Sportlines and has aftermarket wheels and the shocks (which will have a harder time with those mods) are still fine - no leaks or issues at all. Standard shocks - not DCC though.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!