Author Topic: Start Stop does not want to come back  (Read 3446 times)

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Re: Start Stop does not want to come back
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2019, 19:21 »
It’ll stop-start faultlessly after the charge. Time will tell if the battery holds the charge...

Why do you want to bring the car back to default state? Selling up?
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #11 on: 10 January 2019, 20:50 »
It’ll stop-start faultlessly after the charge. Time will tell if the battery holds the charge...

Yeah I guess I can only charge fully and see how it goes.

Answer to your question is: Yes. Funnily, car has been practically flawless for 2.5 years since new, when I decide I need to move on I get: a) Ambient temperature sensor failure (shows 3-4 degrees higher than real temp but no sign of physical damage) b) Low coolant (ok it's done it in the past too) c) Start-Stop not working (probably battery being too low) d) message to replace key fob battery  all within 2 weeks  :grin:

Surely it's trying to tell me something?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 10 January 2019, 21:42 »
Not heated seats on was it?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #13 on: 10 January 2019, 22:19 »
They were for the first 5 min of the trip but turned off after, so they shouldn't be responsible I think.

Offline dubvrs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 10 January 2019, 23:47 »
My start stop rarely kicked in just showedthe crossed out A. When I was getting some bits retro fitted the gent said my battery was poor so got it replaced and the start stop is back. Mine is a 63 plate and only gets used every other week so expected the battery not to be at its best.

Offline Silvadadi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2019, 02:58 »

Answer to your question is: Yes. Funnily, car has been practically flawless for 2.5 years since new, when I decide I need to move on I get: a) Ambient temperature sensor failure (shows 3-4 degrees higher than real temp but no sign of physical damage) b) Low coolant (ok it's done it in the past too) c) Start-Stop not working (probably battery being too low) d) message to replace key fob battery  all within 2 weeks  :grin:

Hopefully you didn’t name your car Christine.......
Ordered Jun 18: R 5dr, IG, DSG, Prets, DLA, climate w/s and tints.
Aug 14 - Jul 18: GTD 5dr, CSG, DSG, S&S pack, Vienna leather and Santiago's.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2019, 08:33 »

Hopefully you didn’t name your car Christine.......

:grin:

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2019, 09:29 »
Forgot to update: So left the car charging overnight. In the morning, the charger's LED showed only 4/5 lights fully lit and the 5th one still blinking which according to DEFA's manual indicates voltage is between 12.55V - 12.65V and battery status max 80%.

I believe this shouldn't have been the case with a good battery given it was left charging for like 14hr. Start-Stop started working again immediately but after a day's usage and overnight parking the charge status dropped again to something like 58% and SS became again unavailable.

At this point I believe the battery is on borrowed time, and that at one point sooner or later I will walk up to the car and find it unable to start. Since I am in the process of selling the car I will simply make sure the buyer is aware of it but isn't it a  rather short time for the battery to go? Just 30 months of ownership? On the other hand I wonder whether that drain incident around a year ago (when the OBDEleven was left working the CANBus all night) took its toll on the battery so maybe not a representative example of how long stock batteries will last on these cars.

Offline fangio

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 18 February 2019, 11:12 »
From what I understand, the start/stop battery is much more powerful and expensive; is yours the right one?

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #19 on: 18 February 2019, 11:14 »
From what I understand, the start/stop battery is much more powerful and expensive; is yours the right one?

Can't imagine why it wouldn't be as it's the one that the car came with from factory.