Author Topic: Tyres fitted but damage caused.  (Read 8380 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Tyres fitted but damage caused.
« Reply #20 on: 02 November 2018, 19:52 »
I'm with Booth on this.

After having  various alloys damaged over the years I now go to a wheel refurber to have my tyres changed.

They aren't going to spend days refurbing wheels to then damage them putting the tyres back on so they are perfectly placed for this.

I also looked into getting my own equipment to change my own tyres and its surprisingly not that expensive. Unfortunately I've no longer got the space or I think I would invest.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 02 November 2018, 20:07 »
I thought the same but if I'm only changing tyres every now and then it's a bit expensive to keep the equipment.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 02 November 2018, 20:10 »
They're about £500 or so on eBay for a semi-automatic tyre changer. I have the same issue, not enough space, otherwise I'd seriously consider it. Along with a steel wheel and a worn tyre to practice with. No way would my first attempt be with my diamond cut wheels!  :undecided: :embarrassed:
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 04 November 2018, 00:31 »
Thinking of buying a set of Cadiz rims and sticking some Bridgestone A005 all season tyres on instead of full winters. The tyre labels for the winters are really bad where the labels for all seasons are much better.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #24 on: 04 November 2018, 08:10 »
Sorry to read this and i know how hard it is to find a good tyre fitter. I always take photos and dread what may happen. Gladly I have finally after years found someone who knows what hes doing and is a true car guy and as picky as me. I can pass on his details if you want for the future.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 04 November 2018, 08:36 »
Thanks Snoopy, yes that would be good. Would be good to have someone taking care of the wheels instead of botching things up.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 04 November 2018, 13:59 »
They're about £500 or so on eBay for a semi-automatic tyre changer. I have the same issue, not enough space, otherwise I'd seriously consider it. Along with a steel wheel and a worn tyre to practice with. No way would my first attempt be with my diamond cut wheels!  :undecided: :embarrassed:

Not sure those machines will spin the wheel to determine the new balancing weights? So you either need another machine or you’d still be stuck going to a tyre changer. Sadly the diy route become cost and space prohibitive.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 04 November 2018, 19:20 »
As most of us live in a country where Winters are not obligatory, nor really necessary unless we live out in the sticks, the wheels VW supply suit most of us all year round, so they're meant to do UK Winters too.

Eh? The wheels VW supply? Assume you mean tyres - which are summer tyres. Got nothing to do with living in the sticks. More about safety as for 4-5 months we get temperatures regularly below 7 degrees. Which is when summer tyres (which probably about 98% of the Uk are driving around on all through winter) stop working properly. They aren't a necessity by any means but probably would reduce the amount of accidents that happen. I've never bothered but tempted this year.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 04 November 2018, 19:56 »
As most of us live in a country where Winters are not obligatory, nor really necessary unless we live out in the sticks, the wheels VW supply suit most of us all year round, so they're meant to do UK Winters too.

Eh? The wheels VW supply? Assume you mean tyres - which are summer tyres. Got nothing to do with living in the sticks. More about safety as for 4-5 months we get temperatures regularly below 7 degrees. Which is when summer tyres (which probably about 98% of the Uk are driving around on all through winter) stop working properly. They aren't a necessity by any means but probably would reduce the amount of accidents that happen. I've never bothered but tempted this year.

Down here in the beautiful, warm, sunny south, the temperatures do drop below 7 but not as often as you might think. We've had a couple of cold mornings recently but daytime is often up to 13c. Last winter I was considering winter tyres but held back and really I don't recall many days at all where they would've been good to have. There wasn't that many times that the roads were gritted either. I do take it easy but in nearly 35 years of driving there's probably only been a few times when it would've been a real benefit. Global warming perhaps?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 04 November 2018, 22:23 »
I thought the same but if I'm only changing tyres every now and then it's a bit expensive to keep the equipment.

By the time family and friends want to use you, you'll soon recoup that money.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14