Author Topic: Tyres fitted but damage caused.  (Read 8460 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Tyres fitted but damage caused.
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2018, 18:19 »
It's got me thinking of getting all four done now but in gloss black. Not sure if it'll reduce the appeal come trade in time but I'm on the slippery slope  :grin: :grin:

Just my opinion of course but NOooooooooooo. Wheels will always suffer bits of damage and I think black will show up any marks plus they will always look dirty unless you are on top of them constantly and the final one for me would be it will spoil the look as I think the 18s look very good. If you aren't keen on the diamond cut how about getting them painted in black and silver so they look standard?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2018, 18:42 »
Yeah your right about them looking dirty although the official VW winters are black 18" pretorias.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline MKgti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2018, 19:01 »
I hate diamond cut wheels, show marks so easily.
When I had a tyred changed the fitter looked at the wheel with me to show any existing marks. He knows I'm a fussy customer, but he's good that's why I always go to him.
I'm looking at getting 18" Pretoria copies for my winters.
Collected and being driven....... Gti PP 5dr DSG Tornado red, tints and Brescia's.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2018, 21:07 »
Not good. I hate this type of finish on alloys, far too easy to damage and salt kills them. If you curb them it costs a fortune and they never look as good as when they were new. My Cadiz got taken off as soon as I could. Stored until i sell the car, hopefully they stay good  :rolleyes:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2018, 21:19 »
This is one of the reasons I run winters. It protects my nice Seville's as they're tucked away until the better weather comes around again.
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 01 November 2018, 21:50 »
Just a little rant but had my new PS4's fitted this morning. Everything fine or so it looked, got home washed all the tyre foam off to find one of my alloys scratched to buggery. Had all 4 wheels off first thing this morning to clean and remove weights in preparation for fitment so I know 100% they weren't scratched. Drive back to tyre place to be met with shaggy ie 'it wasn't me'!! Still adamant they didn't do it so refunded me the fitting. Not exactly the outcome but it has only cost me £345 to have four new tyres fitted. I'll just keep an eye on the scratches incase any corrosion kicks in. I do have very fine scratches on the other wheels from cleaning and stones etc but they are just fine surface scratches. That's the damaged one.

Was expecting to see a thread starting 'had my winter tyres fitted this morning'...! PS4s going into winter?!   :shocked:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2018, 06:31 »
Two of the original Bridgestones were nearly on the limit Jim so they needed doing anyway. Haven't got any winters.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 02 November 2018, 12:01 »
I was just looking at some winters this week as a mate just put them on his C43 Coupe and said it now grips like the summer tyres in summer!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 02 November 2018, 14:09 »
As most of us live in a country where Winters are not obligatory, nor really necessary unless we live out in the sticks, the wheels VW supply suit most of us all year round, so they're meant to do UK Winters too. Diamond cuts are simply not up to the job of looking good for the duration of the warranty, let alone the life of the car, without scrapes. If I keep our Polo GTI+ long term and we get whiteworm out of warranty (or even within warranty if VW refuse to pay out), they'll probably get coated in the same silver as the R's Prets - Refurb guy had to order a minimum 500ml paint when I got a Pret scraped by the missus - so I have 4 wheels's worth of paint being stored on my behalf!
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 02 November 2018, 19:42 »
I was waiting in the queue at Hampshire's premier purveyor of performance tyres several years ago.  Up on ramps was a 1970's Ferrari Dino, and as I watched, a fitter rolled one of the Cromodora alloys with some force across the fitting bay.  I left, and haven't been back there since.

A few days after taking delivery of my current Golf GTI I took it to my local Costco to have new Michelin PS4's fitted to the Austins.  They couldn't have been more careful, and even cleaned the insides of the wheels.  I asked if they would remove and replace the wheels without using air wrenches, which they were happy to do.

One of my pet hates is garages not treating their customer's expensive property with care and respect.