Author Topic: Tyres fitted but damage caused.  (Read 8446 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Tyres fitted but damage caused.
« on: 01 November 2018, 15:10 »
Just a little rant but had my new PS4's fitted this morning. Everything fine or so it looked, got home washed all the tyre foam off to find one of my alloys scratched to buggery. Had all 4 wheels off first thing this morning to clean and remove weights in preparation for fitment so I know 100% they weren't scratched. Drive back to tyre place to be met with shaggy ie 'it wasn't me'!! Still adamant they didn't do it so refunded me the fitting. Not exactly the outcome but it has only cost me £345 to have four new tyres fitted. I'll just keep an eye on the scratches incase any corrosion kicks in. I do have very fine scratches on the other wheels from cleaning and stones etc but they are just fine surface scratches. That's the damaged one.

« Last Edit: 01 November 2018, 15:35 by mcmaddy »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Tyres fitted but damage caused.
« Reply #1 on: 01 November 2018, 15:44 »
I take photos before getting tyres fitted.

I know its an@l but it has paid off once.... "it wasn't me"... "oh the photographic evidence suggests otherwise"

One repaired alloy at their cost not mine.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2018, 15:48 »
I know Fred I almost did. Hindsight, will know the next time.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2018, 15:49 »
That's a real shame. It looks fairly light though, could a smart repair fix it?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2018, 16:09 »
I've already shown it to my detailer fella and he reckons it won't polish due to it being on the diamond cut face. It's annoying but not the end of the world.

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 November 2018, 17:05 »
On my previous car which had lower profile tyres than on my GTI (I have same alloys as you), I took pictures of all 4 wheels before taking it in. They did damage the alloy but I went round the car before leaving the place and saw it so pointed it out then. Definitely something to consider for anyone who is going to get their tyres changed. We may care for our cars but others don't/won't.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2018, 17:16 »
They've made far worse mess of yours than my dealer made of mine !
I ended up getting a brand new wheel, but it took about 3 month's  :sad:
It's one of the reasons I'm not rushing to change my Bridgestones until they are down to slicks :laugh:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 November 2018, 17:24 »
I always take photos of my car before it goes in for any work at a dealers etc. Not had any problems personally but I know plenty who have.

It’s really infuriating that people aren’t careful. That’s one of the problems I suppose when we all see the errors that others would brush off because they don’t care! Once you’ve noticed it, that’s it.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 November 2018, 17:30 »
Gutting!  It’s a real shame you didn’t take before pics and get them to have a pre fitting walk round with you noting no damage.   It’ll need a proper diamond cut refurb, using the decdicated lathe.

This is exactly why I now take mine to a wheel refurber to fit tyres (Lepsons).  Got sick of careless tyre fitters wrecking wheels, often prying off wheel weights with god knows what,   That way if they bugger the wheels up they can refurb them!  But they do a perfect job.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 01 November 2018, 18:04 »
It's got me thinking of getting all four done now but in gloss black. Not sure if it'll reduce the appeal come trade in time but I'm on the slippery slope  :grin: :grin: