Author Topic: Full Electric eGolf...  (Read 3329 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Full Electric eGolf...
« Reply #10 on: 01 November 2018, 09:21 »
Ok, but the high profile skinny tyres are cheaper than low profile wide ones yes?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 01 November 2018, 10:15 »
I was talking to someone with a Nissan Leaf a little while ago and they were saying that an electric car has far less servicing costs than a petrol one. No oil changes, no filter changes, no exhaust to rot... I hadn't really thought of this until they said it.

Quite probably the tyres last longer too - well, longer than us performance dino burners here get through them anyway... plus they are all skinny tyres not low profile wide ones like we use.

It *might* offset the increased price over say 5 years you know... assuming the battery replacement thing doesn't happen and the depreciation.... oh I don't know!

Sounds like a finance question for MonkeyHanger :D

My mate has a Tesla Model S. Nothing to service. They even replace stuff like wipers for free. And depreciation isn't as bad you'd think. They are holding their money quite well for the more desirable models. As a company for tax purposes you can write the full value off in the first year which can be appealing.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 11 November 2018, 17:56 »
I was talking to someone with a Nissan Leaf a little while ago and they were saying that an electric car has far less servicing costs than a petrol one. No oil changes, no filter changes, no exhaust to rot... I hadn't really thought of this until they said it.

Quite probably the tyres last longer too - well, longer than us performance dino burners here get through them anyway... plus they are all skinny tyres not low profile wide ones like we use.

It *might* offset the increased price over say 5 years you know... assuming the battery replacement thing doesn't happen and the depreciation.... oh I don't know!

Sounds like a finance question for MonkeyHanger :D

I don't think you'll save any money on tyres - even the mundane electric vehicles are surprisingly nippy 0-62 mph due to instant availability of full power and torque - the quickest variant of Tesla model S will leave an Audi RS6 for dead 0-80mph. Anything with 0-62 under 7 seconds is going to be wearing tyres pretty quick. Always wodered why the lical Nissan garage charges £150 a service for a leaf when there's seemingly nowt to do but check a battery's health and a few visual checks on suspension components etc.

Saving a hundred quid every service over a petrol/diesel car isn't going to save you much vs steep depreciation these electric cars will have until the tech reaches maturity and the battery isn't done in at 6 years old with a huge replacement cost.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Crockers

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 21 November 2018, 08:10 »
Makes more sense to lease an electric car. Batteries will cost £10000+ to replace unless batteries improve and reduce in price I'm never going that route. A hybrid option appeals more.

All imho of course.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 21 November 2018, 13:03 »
Its an interesting point, so I googled it.

Found this:

https://ez-ev.com/tips/electric-cars-vs-gas-maintenance-battery-cost

If what that says is true, that you can expect 8 years or 100,000 miles before the battery cost is your problem.... then its largely irrelevant for most of us.

A petrol car with 100k on it isn't worth much and probably needs a hell of a lot of work on it... I don't think its likely to be a major issue for most of us here...

On the other hand, at the cheap end of the 2nd hand car market, it does change things rather a lot in the future IMHO.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC