Author Topic: Running Out Of Steam?  (Read 6054 times)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
Re: Running Out Of Steam?
« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2018, 09:32 »
Well I have an R so that’s me out. Although we still have the slightly+ Inferior GTI so that’s ok I guess.
Btw I certainly would not be ordering a new 7.5 at this or in the last 6 months. But buying used or a clubsprort.
My 7.5 is May 2017 and guess we won’t see the 8 R until May 2020? Based on that folks wii be getting the ‘old’ model GTI within a year of the new one arriving not sure that makes financial sense.
But hey each to their own.
Maybe start a 7.5 forum to stimulate the one :smiley:
« Last Edit: 28 October 2018, 11:05 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2018, 12:08 »
CHB - and others, firstly let me apologise for my comment about non-GTI posters. It was rude and I withdraw it completely.

Why have I ordered a 245 for 3/19? Well, we all make judgements based on knowns and unknowns and here is my rationale which might be way out!

Mk8 Golf starts building Summer 19, first models arrive Autumn 19 ...maybe.

GTI orders open when?? and first deliveries maybe some time in 2020. No info on performance Golfs until sometime in 2019. Decent discounts for first 12m of orders?....doubtful, I fear.

In the meantime because of forthcoming Mk8,WLTP, factory delays and UK economic uncertainty, I suspect 2018 GTI orders have fallen of a cliff. There will be very few late 18 and even fewer 2019 GTIs built. Residuals on late cars are pretty firm already.

If Brexit goes badly there may be additional tariffs on new VWs after 29/3/19.

And finally, I change my car every 2 years so due to do that in March 19. I bought my present Mk7 with £5,000 discount so it cost £23,000. Current valuation is £19,000 ish so quite good so far at the 18m/16,000 miles mark.

I am saving £5,000 off list on my new order so CTC will be tolerable. If I waited for a Mk8 in 2020 ??? my CTC would be impossible to countenance.

I have made a set of assumptions listed above, any or all of which could be very wrong. However, based on all these, I reckon a good 2019 245 will still be holding its value in 2020/21 and I will have had the pleasure of upgrading from a 220 to a 245 DSG to drive in the next two years.

On the other hand I might have got this wrong!

Anyway, I send peace to all readers.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2018, 12:30 »
Thing is I do a search for something if I need to find something out instead of asking a new question about it. So it is your own fault for telling people they should use the search function. :grin:

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2018, 09:19 »
Maybe the forum site needs a complete rebuild to bring it into 2018 in terms of websites?! I was on a S2000 one about 11 years ago and it's almost the same. Technology has changed a lot in that time. I imagine people get annoyed with the dated tech.

But definitely seems to have slowed down in the last year, sure it was more active when I joined in May 2017.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline neepy7.5

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2018, 09:40 »
Maybe the forum site needs a complete rebuild to bring it into 2018 in terms of websites?! I was on a S2000 one about 11 years ago and it's almost the same. Technology has changed a lot in that time. I imagine people get annoyed with the dated tech.

But definitely seems to have slowed down in the last year, sure it was more active when I joined in May 2017.

The T-Roc and Tiguan forums are much more 2018
'68 7.5 Golf GTI Performance 3dr DSG, Isaac Blue

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 29 October 2018, 10:27 »

The T-Roc and Tiguan forums are much more 2018

The seatcupra.net forum is also much more 2018.

I think that the stage at which the mk7.5 Golf is in it’s lifecycle is also contributing to fewer posts and fewer new members, plus some forum members may have moved on to other VW models or other manufacturers cars, so may not contribute to this forum’s discussions now.

I dare say when VW officially launches the mk8, there’ll be increased activity again but maybe not on the mk7 forum board; it’ll be on the new mk8 forum board (lots of discussion on specs, price, lead times etc, etc.) I seem to remember the same thing happened when the mk7 was launched - lots of activity on the mk7 board and decreasing activity on the mk6 forum board. How many mk7/7.5 members who previously owned a mk6 visit and contribute on the mk6 forum board? Probably not many (very little activity in the mk6 section these days).

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 29 October 2018, 10:40 »
I think its just the Mk7 is coming to the end of its life but not made the leap into the old falling apart classic car chats you see on the Mk5 forum yet...

Sooner or later it will stop being about order options and more about replacing rusting panels...

On a more positive note, this forum still has some life - I've not looked over the weekend and there are about ten threads with new posts - pretty good IMHO.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 29 October 2018, 12:12 »
In all honesty, I find people discussing colours and spec all a bit dull. These things are subjective and I don't feel the need to discuss such things with people that I don't know.

I also don't get why people have to be congratulated upon sharing the news that they have ordered or had a new car delivered. Why does buying a product require gratification from others? Perhaps it's this day and age of people needing facebook likes or strava kudos as if whatever they have done needs to be recognised? It was certainly not like that 10 years ago.

What is interesting are technical topics relating to how things work and modifications. There is not much of this involved in newer models tho' as most of the topics relate to purchasing and cleaning. Technical topics relating to older models will have been covered over and over again. There won't be anything new to report, so there's little point in saying what's been said before and is archived for people to search for.

I guess much of this is contributing to the demise of forums all over.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 October 2018, 12:30 »
It's probably because I've stopped asking questions  :D :D
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 29 October 2018, 13:19 »
In all honesty, I find people discussing colours and spec all a bit dull. These things are subjective and I don't feel the need to discuss such things with people that I don't know.

I also don't get why people have to be congratulated upon sharing the news that they have ordered or had a new car delivered. Why does buying a product require gratification from others? Perhaps it's this day and age of people needing facebook likes or strava kudos as if whatever they have done needs to be recognised? It was certainly not like that 10 years ago.

What is interesting are technical topics relating to how things work and modifications. There is not much of this involved in newer models tho' as most of the topics relate to purchasing and cleaning. Technical topics relating to older models will have been covered over and over again. There won't be anything new to report, so there's little point in saying what's been said before and is archived for people to search for.

I guess much of this is contributing to the demise of forums all over.

I think all that makes sense. Also feel like generally a lot of current forum members are against modifying anything though... God forbid anyone would want their GTI to sound louder  :grin:

Also maybe VW have evolved the GTI so much that there aren't many things to go wrong.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey