• Just got here
Re: Coolant mystery golf GTD mk7
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2018, 12:18 »
Coolant on outside of expansion tank by Jengli

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2018, 12:47 »
hi there mate, Thanks for the info but i can't find the thread?! can you please link me?!

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44848
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ldrowlands

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2019, 10:38 »
Hi CamGTD, I've been googling and it sounds like you've had exactly the same problem as me. I was wondering if you ever got it sorted? I've got a mk7 2.0 diesel GT model (not the GTD). Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Cjpenfold

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2019, 10:03 »
I have the exact same problem Vw had my car for 3 months in total and replace the egr cooler

But still losing coolant

2 independent garages have checked everything and recon it’s the gasket

Did either of you guys get it done???

Offline Golfie7GTD

• Just got here
« Reply #14 on: 03 August 2019, 18:53 »
I am so glad I found this topic ! Hopefully we can solve the puzzle together !

I imported a MK7 GTD 2016 form Germany into the Netherlands with 93.000km in march 2017. I had to refill coolant quite a few times now and noticed that this always occurs on long drives (5 hour) and sometimes on shorter drives (1 hour) and only on motorways doing 100 – 130 KM/H (60 – 75 MpH).

I could not find any leakage, no coolant on the floor of the garage. We checked the car with VCDS and not find any errors, when forced a DPF with VCDS we noticed there was coolant coming underneath the reservoir. At first I thought the reservoir would be broken so I bought a new one. The reason there is coolant coming underneath the reservoir is because there is a small overflow pipe going through the reservoir. When the pressure is over 2 BAR the coolant is released threw the pipe.

After the forced DPF and the loss of coolant I was convinced that the overpressure in the coolingsystem is related to the DPF. As I can not always drive around with a laptops and VCDS-cable I bought a blue tooth CANBUS connector and bought the app VAG DPF. This gives a dashboard with counters on the DPF process. This way I exactly know when the DPF starts and finishes.

My coolant temp on the dashboard stays 90 Celcius and my oiltemp is varying from 100 – 105.
I imported the car from a VW dealership and I still have warranty. I am allowed to let my dutch VW dealership to investigate the problem. But,……what to test or check ???

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2019, 21:48 »
partially blocked heater matrix can cause this, its becoming more and more common. Check that your heaters blow red hot on both sides of the car.

Offline Kyle4826

• Just got here
« Reply #16 on: 18 September 2019, 22:46 »
Hi new to the forum.

Head gaskets do go, they like to separate on the new engine. I say new it's been around a while. But I wouldn't go straight there. But they also like to leak from the charge air cooler (inlet manifold) which is a lot more common than the head gasket. there is a sensor sat on top, remove that and use a scope to check the inside. They are a bit awkward to replace but they are common. Also the egr valves like to leak internally as well.

If you are unsure the charge air cooler is leaking, remove the glow plugs, use a coolant pressure tester and set to 1.5 bar, then use a scope on each cylinder checking for leaks. Generally it's just a trickle of coolant. If you see it on all 4 then it will.be from the charge air cooler.

After that have a check of the egr, once remove you can see staining of coolant.

If there are no other visible leaks such as the water pump then you're looking at the head gasket.

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2019, 11:34 »
Kyle4826 an excellent first post, you sound a very handy person to know and going to be a very useful member of the forum.
2016 GTD

Offline Kyle4826

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2019, 23:00 »
Cheers pal 👍. I am VAG tech so know may way around them fairly well..... I hope 😂

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #19 on: 20 September 2019, 10:54 »
Cheers pal 👍. I am VAG tech so know may way around them fairly well..... I hope 😂

Wished you lived around the corner !  :grin:
2016 GTD