Author Topic: Help - Jack Clearance on GTI  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Hurumpf

• Just got here
Help - Jack Clearance on GTI
« on: 20 August 2018, 16:06 »

Hello all,

I would like to order a trolly jack for my Mk7 GTI but I am away from the car and need to order it before I get back as I'm in another country at the moment.

I have found a trolly jack that has a minimum clearance of 130mm. Is this low enough to fit below the jacking points?

If I remember correctly the front jacking point is about 10mm lower than the rear.

I would be very grateful if one of you could please confirm the clearance from ground to the front jacking point.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Help - Jack Clearance on GTI
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2018, 16:12 »
Dunno if it helps but my GTD is about 160mm at the front and 180mm at the rear.
7.5 GTD

Offline Hurumpf

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2018, 16:21 »
That's certainly reassuring. I doubt there is too much difference between the two.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2018, 12:48 »
Whatever you do, make sure you get a trolley jack with a rubber pad on it (or make one from an ice hockey puck if you get a metal cup type trolley jack) otherwise it will absolutely muller your sills.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2018, 12:54 »
I found it also paid to go for a decent jack. The first 2 I bought both had issues and ended up back at the shop. The cheapo Chinese made ones are cheap for a reason.
7.5 GTD

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2018, 13:07 »
Whatever you do, make sure you get a trolley jack with a rubber pad on it (or make one from an ice hockey puck if you get a metal cup type trolley jack) otherwise it will absolutely muller your sills.

I used some heavy duty corrugated folded up - did an ok job but still left small marks on the sills.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2018, 20:56 »
I made some stepped ramps out of plywood to drive my Mk2 up onto to get the jack under it. I don't have the same issue with the Amarok.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2018, 10:37 »
I made some stepped ramps out of plywood to drive my Mk2 up onto to get the jack under it. I don't have the same issue with the Amarok.

I think I'd have issues with some of my jacks reaching the Amarok, never mind lifting it!  :grin:
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.