Author Topic: GTI Colour, Wheels, Interior, Options  (Read 4393 times)

Offline DaBaws

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI Colour, Wheels, Interior, Options
« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2018, 20:05 »
All i really want is opinions or comments based on peoples experiences with the choices listed. What colours would you guys go for then? I feel White is the only colour that stands out

Do a lot of people experience leaks and rattles from the sunroof?

Also is the Art Velours purely cosmetic or does it feel different to the standard Jacara?

I am inclined to avoid the keyless because i have heard about security issues and a brand new GTI is more likely to attract attention

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2018, 20:34 »
If you're set on white then that's the colour to get. White seems all the rage these days, but to me it's a colour that looks best on kitchen appliances. The GTi  palette is quite poor, but from what's available my preferences in order;-

1. Tungsten Silver
2. Isaac Blue
3. Indium Grey
4. Atlantic Blue
5. Pure White
6. White Silver
7. Tornado Red
8. Deep Black
9. Oryx White ('cos it's a rip off)
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2018, 20:48 »
I've got DCC on mine and it's great. Comfort mode for gentle leisurely drives, normal mode for commute to work and sport mode for when the mood takes. Can also set things individually too. Cheaper than pleather so worth it for me.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2018, 21:01 »
I wasn't going to mention my colour choice as I'm rather biased but it has to be, RED!! Looks lovely all the time although it absolutely glows when clean on a sunny day and it really stands out. Even compared to other red cars. But when you are driving along amongst a constant stream of dark coloured cars which in fairness, in isolation can look very smart, but there's just so many of them, you do feel special. I've also never had so much attention in any other car and I really do think it's the colour that attracts people. Or maybe it's me? :wink: :whistle: :grin:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2018, 21:01 »
Not keen on white silver but that just my taste.

Bigger wheels always look good, if you like them, then go for it

The 90% tints look great.

Dynaudio is really very good, so glad I specced it on mine. So clear with a nice thump when needed.

Climate windscreen looks good as well as helping out when it's cold/hot. I like the fact it adds a tint to the screen and keeps heat out a little.

Rear cam I use a lot in my estate, just adds a little something but not essential... then again is any spec? Just spec what you like/can afford  :smiley:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2018, 21:30 »
All i really want is opinions or comments based on peoples experiences with the choices listed. What colours would you guys go for then? I feel White is the only colour that stands out

Do a lot of people experience leaks and rattles from the sunroof?

Also is the Art Velours purely cosmetic or does it feel different to the standard Jacara?

I am inclined to avoid the keyless because i have heard about security issues and a brand new GTI is more likely to attract attention
White is not the only colour that stands out :wink:

Colour - I have seen several white silver golfs on the road now and it just looks like grey to me. I wanted to like that colour but I am glad I didn't pick it. Most of the Golf colour options are rather bland. Some look really good in a showroom, but blend in, out on the road.

Alloys - are probably one of the most distinctive part of any car. Love them or hate them, there is only 1 standard GTI alloy. (I like my alloys and don't understand why other people hate them.) Other alloys might look better, but they also make the cars look less GTI to my eyes.

Seats - Art Velour seats lift the interior of the car up a level IMO. The inside of the doors are also covered.

Keyless - I don't think it locks the car as you describe. At least I never noticed it. :huh:

Dynaudio - I've had it over a year now and honestly didn't think it was anything special. Though with all the wind noise and road noise, it was hard to tell. Recently, I have set 'sound focus' to drivers seat. It does give a richer, clearer sound. Though I don't know how this compares to standard.

90% tints - Someone else commented that really dark rear tints can give the Golf more of a van look.

Dynamic Chassis Control - I don't like the stand suspension on my roads. My wife didn't like it either. I explained to my dealer that DCC was the one option that my car must have. I would not have bought my car without it. (Though my local country roads are really, really poor.)

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2018, 21:34 »
I wasn't going to mention my colour choice as I'm rather biased but it has to be, RED!! Looks lovely all the time although it absolutely glows when clean on a sunny day and it really stands out. Even compared to other red cars. But when you are driving along amongst a constant stream of dark coloured cars which in fairness, in isolation can look very smart, but there's just so many of them, you do feel special. I've also never had so much attention in any other car and I really do think it's the colour that attracts people. Or maybe it's me? :wink: :whistle: :grin:

… it's not just you.

The only thing is the red strip and red GTI badges are not as noticeable.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 20 August 2018, 11:51 »
The car is massively well loaded with tech and sexy gadgets out the box and everything you could possibly pay extra for is 100% subjective - there isn't one option I'd say was a must have, none of them are value for money and they all don't add much on resale - the biggest resale price booster is nav and electric windows.... together with a GTI badge. The standard car has these!

That being said...

I'd avoid :
keyless just because of the security issue
sunroof because its heavy and potentially a rattle/leak problem
White silver because its a marmite colour that may hinder resale
The stock GTI wheels because they are hideous and present massive potential for curbing

I'd choose:
 the Seville wheels because they look nice and are quite good VFM (compared to 19's)
Art velours interior because it actually is much nicer than the tartan really - even given heritage (good vfm compared to leather)

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline saltire

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 20 August 2018, 17:17 »
In the same boat but we just ordered ours yesterday, and went for the following:

Colour - totally subjective, but not a great choice so had to be DBP.  We went in thinking Indium Grey as closest we could get to Carbon Grey (current car is) but seeing it in the flesh it didn't look good at all.  Just our choice, go with what you like.

DCC - this was must have for me, got it on the current car and use it a lot.  We have a mix of roads in various states and switching between the damping levels makes a real difference to the ride quality and comfort.  I just wish there was a switch on the steering wheel to scroll between the driving modes.  I have Individual mode set up with DCC on Normal (everything else on Sport) as default most of the time, but swap the DCC setting to Comfort if I know I'm hitting the poorer roads out our way, and stick it in full Sport mode to play a bit.

90% Rear Tint - another subjective one but just think it looks better on the darker colours

Climate windscreen - don't have it on current car, as at time had to spec it with something else (can't remember what now).  We're rural so fairly hard winters/frosts, not got a garage and I'm fed up having to scrape it!  Had it many moons ago on a Focus and it was so convenient.

Keyless - bit miffed as it was included as standard last time and just would have felt wrong not having it after having it if that makes sense.

This is on a 5-door PP DSG of course.  We went in after a non-PP to be told sorry no factory orders it'll have to be a PP - out the loop a bit so presume VW only put the PP through WLTP assessment?  Plus squeeze a bit more out of customers before mk8 is out no doubt - thought about a pre-reg but finding one with spec we want (DCC) not easy.

The guys in the lead-time thread are also right - estimate for delivery is 31 Jan so yeah 5 months.  At least we got the trade-in value locked down now.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 20 August 2018, 20:03 »
The stock GTI wheels because they are hideous...

... that hurts. :sad: I like my GTI alloys.