Author Topic: light clunk during very low speed braking  (Read 925 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
light clunk during very low speed braking
« on: 11 August 2018, 18:47 »
I think I've noticed this since more than a year ago, but because the car drove and felt fine otherwise and especially under other much more demanding conditions I never bothered to investigate further.

During very low speed braking (max 15mph) and sometimes during setting off, there is a one-off light clunk coming I think from the rear, a bit like the pads are settling into position sort of speak (not that pads are supposed to do this). Once it happens, it won't happen again if I repeat the braking, unless I built speed and come down to almost a stop, and even then it's not certain. So it's not repetitive or easily reproductible, the steering wheel and the brakes overall feel fine during hard and light braking without any noises or weird sounds whatsoever, and I'd say it almost feels like part of the low speed braking process, it kind of gives the impression it's something to do with the DSG when you're coming to a stop.

So anyone else having experienced this with a DSG MK7 or having an explanation of the origin of it?

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: light clunk during very low speed braking
« Reply #1 on: 12 August 2018, 12:49 »
I had something like this in my R after the brakes were adjusted / greased during a routine service.
For me it was only when reversing. A light clunk as I went from forward to reverse, say when reversing into my driveway.
The dealers said it was the brake pad re-settling into the caliper as I changed direction and it was totally harmless. They adjusted them a bit again and that cured it.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: light clunk during very low speed braking
« Reply #2 on: 12 August 2018, 14:08 »
Similar, it will mostly happen when I'm doing my parking manoeuvres to enter in my narrow garage. Maybe it's never coming from the front I can't really swear about this but it sounds very much like you describe. Maybe there can be some adjustment on the pads then to cure it? I think I must be having that almost since new.