Author Topic: GTi or R  (Read 15781 times)

Offline Madpig

• Not said much yet
Re: GTi or R
« Reply #50 on: 20 August 2018, 12:47 »
Mine is bloody gorgeous, convinced the 7speed is the biggest reason for the seamless acceleration, that and the amazing traction, also the bhp that I'm convinced is above book. It's quiet, comfortable beats my ladies GTI on every single level including fun. Frightening can be fun
If anyone is passing come and try mine, btw it doesn't feel like a tank to me!
[/quote]

Odd...I wasn't impressed at all when I test drove a DSG R a couple of weeks ago.

Unless you nail the pedal to the metal it was as slow as a slow thing but when I tried the GTI performance (manual)...well that was a different kettle of fish altogether.

Perhaps it's just me with automatics....or maybe it's because my current beast (RS Focus) is running 375bhp and the slightest blip on the throttle makes the car surge forward!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #51 on: 20 August 2018, 16:18 »
Despite DSG having loads of plus points, if you come from a long line of manuals like me it can feel a little odd.

I'm sure when you get used to it its stonking (lightning fast gear changes and just push button driving) but it probably is taking away one of the last bits of direct control you have left. Much of the rest of the car is already doing its own thing - for better or worse!

Its is however the future - can't have those manual gear boxes creating random emissions profiles down to driver abuse....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #52 on: 20 August 2018, 17:03 »
Mine is bloody gorgeous, convinced the 7speed is the biggest reason for the seamless acceleration, that and the amazing traction, also the bhp that I'm convinced is above book. It's quiet, comfortable beats my ladies GTI on every single level including fun. Frightening can be fun
If anyone is passing come and try mine, btw it doesn't feel like a tank to me!

Odd...I wasn't impressed at all when I test drove a DSG R a couple of weeks ago.

Unless you nail the pedal to the metal it was as slow as a slow thing but when I tried the GTI performance (manual)...well that was a different kettle of fish altogether.

Perhaps it's just me with automatics....or maybe it's because my current beast (RS Focus) is running 375bhp and the slightest blip on the throttle makes the car surge forward!
[/quote]

The DTUK pedal box makes a massive difference, the standard R has the worst dead pedal I have ever experienced. As many have said on here. It's worse than the GTI. The box set on sport transforms the car completely to an immediate response. And don't forget to use the paddles for ultimate control.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #53 on: 20 August 2018, 18:33 »
I don't have any issue with the throttle on the 7.5 with 7 speed, goes well for me. Not sure what the 7 with 6 speed is like....
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Madpig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #54 on: 21 August 2018, 06:08 »
Forgive my ignorance but what is this “pedal box” which everyone refers to?

Online Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 21 August 2018, 07:37 »

Type “pedalbox” into the forum search and be prepared to spend several hours being brainwashed.

It’s the best mod you can do to a mk7, mk7.5 or more or less any modern car with DBW throttle.
It totally transforms how the car drives on low to moderate throttle openings.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #56 on: 21 August 2018, 09:18 »

This thread will keep you going for hours.....

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278239.0
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #57 on: 21 August 2018, 12:31 »
I haven't got one and still don't feel the need for one but I'm in the minority  :cool:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #58 on: 22 August 2018, 02:38 »
I haven't got one and still don't feel the need for one but I'm in the minority  :cool:

Don't know what you're missing.   :whistle:

1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 22 August 2018, 07:00 »

Don't know what you're missing.   :whistle:
No thanks, if I want an on/off switch I'll play on a games console  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.