Author Topic: GTi or R  (Read 15594 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTi or R
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2018, 13:41 »
Hi Guys,
Having decided that the current GTD is our last one we will be ordering a GTi or R in the next couple of weeks.
The lead times on both cars is pretty long but we can extend our GTD lease month by month so it isn't a big problem.
We just can not decide on which car is the best to have as a long term buy, as in 6+ years or so.
Leasing has become expensive now we have de-registered for VAT and it actually works out about the same to buy the car as it does to lease it and there will always be some residual value in the car we buy so it's a no-brainer really.

My wife likes the DSG Golf R but while I like it, I have always driven manual cars, apart from a Tiguan that I really didn't like at all, especially round country roads. I thought the manual GTi was a much nicer car to drive, but then she thinks I drive too fast anyway.

Anyone fancy offering some advice, even if it's rude?

Stuff waiting for a new one to be built, I'd follow the lead suggested on here and find a new one in stock, either pre-reg'd or sat in a compound waiting for registration.

Ask the same question on the R forum and you'd think the GTI was as slow as a Golf Match and was impossible to drive quickly if there was the merest hint of moisture in the air.
The R is a better car full stop, but that really does depend on driving style.

I've owned all four, GTD, GTI PP, R and a Clubsport.
There's no doubt in my mind that the R is the best of the bunch but it isn't the most fun. It's a little too good, but hard as that might be to imagine after the summer like we've just had, on an average British damp and grey day the R would be a perfect companion for the country lanes, very quick and very surefooted.

I love my Clubsport but do miss the R.

It depends on driving style and gearbox choice in my eyes, as said by others here as to which would be the ideal car for you. It's nice to have the choice.

If you rarely use high revs then a GTI PP manual is great fun, great on fuel, pulls from almost tickover and will surprise you at how well it handles with the VAQ diff. That thing is amazing.
If you use high revs quite often then the DSG R is probably by far the best car you can buy for the money.

Then again, a Polo GTI makes a compelling argument for itself right now.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2018, 13:44 »

There are people who will try and tell you that the Golf R is much better in poor weather. They are partly right. The Golf R with four wheel drive will accelerate much better when traction is an issue. However, four wheel drive does little to help with cornering and does nothing to help with braking the car. Ultimately grip comes from your tyres and not your drive system.

Two great cars whatever you both decide.

So very true.
Often completely overlooked, especially by drivers of a certain 4wd model.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 08 August 2018, 18:59 »
I went for the GTI manual ( used 12k miles ) I could of had a R or a PP however for the reason of budget and that I would rather have a really high spec gti with those seats etc . Plus running costs are excellent No regrets what so ever .its plenty quick enough as said for my usage and roads .
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #23 on: 08 August 2018, 21:15 »
I don’t know if you aware that the new Golf Mk8 will go into production middle of next year. Though I don’t expect to see any GTI or R versions until 2020.

So you will have your car less than a year before it will be the “old golf”. Might be a consideration if you plan on keeping it.

Though personally I really like the style, drive and performance of my Mk7.5.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

dervy

« Reply #24 on: 08 August 2018, 21:35 »
As others have said, this is a very personal decision, but here is my twopennys worth. I I have had a mk 6 and a mk7 GTD and they were fantastic cars in terms of comfort, speed and economy, but the demonisation of diesel, particularly in London, made me move back to petrol. I was tempted to go for a GTI, but wanted something completely different and for the last 14 months I’ve had a 7.5R. Performance wise it is in a different league, fuel consumption is also in a different league! 18mg around town and 36 on a long run! The performance is both amazing and addictive and if you want a complete change, I think it’s the way to go. Mk 8 Rs will be around in 2020, but that is 2 years on! Do you need the performance of the R? No, but did you need GTD levels of performance either? Go for it and keep the fuel companies happy  :laugh: by the way, my insurance is considerably cheaper than it was for my GTD.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 09 August 2018, 23:22 »
My wife has a manual GTI and I have a DSG R.
While I like driving her GTI as it does feel lighter and more nimble, I'm always keen to get back in the R.
I just can't go that wheel spin from a standing start or slow moving. Its not as bad with the Michelin PS4s on it but its still annoying at times.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Ikura

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 13 August 2018, 19:40 »
Thanks for all the feedback, suggestions and info.

We went to put an order in for the Golf R and have been quoted 'at least 30 weeks delivery' so that takes us well into next year. As out GTD has to go back in early November we have no way of sorting out the car we want in time.

The only option was to agree to a 24 month lease on another GTD for cheap money. It isn't something we wanted to do but there are few other options. We looked at the cars that are available from stock and have to admit we are not keen on buying a bog standard spec car so we have decided to run with the GTD and will put an order in for the Golf R when things settle down next year.

It could work out to be the best option with the Golf Mk.8 due next year and we can run both cars for the remainder of the new GTD's lease.

Again, thanks for all the help and having test driven a couple more GTi's and R's we really grew to like the R very much, although we would undoubtedly be happy with a GTi.

All we hope now is that there will actually be a Golf R Mk.8.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 13 August 2018, 21:24 »
Did you not have an option to just extend your current lease?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 14 August 2018, 07:55 »
I had an "R" for a couple of weeks whilst my GTI was having a paint blemish repaired, and to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed (puts flame suit on). Don't get me wrong, it's a weapon that's for sure, and accelerating away from lights without the slightest hint of wheelspin was great but overall, it left me a bit cold.

For sure it was faster than my GTI (then with an extra 80ps and 4wd it bloody well should), but having read comments on here for many years about how almost supercar like it was, I think I was expecting more. Sure it felt faster but not like in another world faster, and the steering was much heavier and overall it just didn't feel as nimble. Like I say I think my expectations of the car were much higher than the reality. I don't critisize anyone who owns or has ordered an "R" as it's a great car, but for 80% of the time (or more), on crowded motorways where I tend to spend a lot of time, it was no quicker than the GTI (having said that, in reality the GTI is no really quicker than a Golf 1.4 Match in those conditions).

As a personal thing, I prefer the look of the GTI as well. The red accents in the front grill and lights, and the two big exhausts at the back (rather than the quad setup of the "R" I much prefer. Aside from initial traction, about the only thing that I really liked over my GTI at the time was the sound. There was no doubting that noise the "R" makes was much sportier and nicer sounding than the rather anaemic sound I get from the GTI.

Obviously these are my personal opinions and count for absolutely nothing in the real world as it's your money and decision not mine  :D :D
« Last Edit: 14 August 2018, 07:57 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Ikura

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 14 August 2018, 11:06 »
Did you not have an option to just extend your current lease?

The GTD is coming up for 3 years old so extending the lease meant we would have to have put it through an MOT and pay for any repairs or remedial work it might need. The scary thing is we would be leasing a car with no manufacturers warranty and that isn't something we are prepared to do.

We are happy to wait for the Mk.8 and see what VW come up with.