Author Topic: Michelin Crossclimate  (Read 9451 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Michelin Crossclimate
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2018, 09:00 »
How about this review - this is ADAC (Allgemeiner Deutscher Automobil-Club), the Germans of course knowing more about seasonal tyres than we do in the UK:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-ADAC-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Note:

Even the best all season tyres on test couldn't earn the ADAC "highly recommended" label, with the testers preferring the combination of a dedicated summer / winter tyre pairing. This was due to the all season tyres being weaker than a dedicated summer tyre in the dry, and not as good as the winter tyre in snow / ice - again this is more of a consideration for parts of Europe which have larger amounts of snowfall than the majority of the UK.

I think the problem though is as noted by previous posters - all season tyres are not about low profile high performance... and the winter aspect demands larger sidewalls.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 04 November 2018, 08:48 »
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm seriously thinking about buying the new Bridgestone A005 All Weather tyre to use instead of the Michelin PS4 summer. They have the snow symbol so are an official snow rated tyre and are also A rated for wet. I think these would be a better option than a full winter for the two days a year we might have a dusting of snow. Anyone used these?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 04 November 2018, 10:26 »
Not keen on those rims really. Look a bit halfordsish. Would either go for a second set of original GTi wheels or a set of Cadiz.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 04 November 2018, 10:48 »
These look a decent option if you've a grand to spare

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-vw-golf-mk7-5-gti-alloy-wheels-perrili-p7-all-season-tyres-8-mil/283210131280?epid=11014679795&hash=item41f0a3a750:g:Hj4AAOSwu7xbwzz8:rk:199:pf:0

I think those wheels belong to forum member Mikeyd1. He’s also on golfmk7.com forum and has spoken of selling his grey powder coated Sevilles with red pin stripe.

Not keen on those rims really. Look a bit halfordsish. Would either go for a second set of original GTi wheels or a set of Cadiz.

I personally think that the powder coated / painted VW Seville wheels at the eBay link posted by kalimon would be much more durable for winter use than a set of diamond cut Austins or Cadiz. No risk of white worm either and the tyres on the Sevilles look almost new.

Just my opinion though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #15 on: 04 November 2018, 11:21 »
I’d be all over them if I had the spare funds and lived a lot closer.
I quite like that wheel design.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 November 2018, 12:07 »
I’d be all over them if I had the spare funds and lived a lot closer.
I quite like that wheel design.

Mikeyd1 only bought the wheels at the beginning of August, so like the tyres, they’re almost brand new.

I quite like them too. If they fitted my Polo GTI I’d be very interested, but the Golf and Polo have different bolt patterns (PCD for the Golf is 5x112 and the Polo is 5x100) so they wouldn’t fit my car. 18” on the (previous generation) Polo GTI might be a bit tight too.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 04 November 2018, 12:09 »
I'd have them without the red stripe on. The Cadiz I've seen are either powder coated or flat silver, so proper winters and no diamond cut.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 04 November 2018, 12:17 »
perrilli tyres?????

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 04 November 2018, 15:16 »
These look a decent option if you've a grand to spare

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-vw-golf-mk7-5-gti-alloy-wheels-perrili-p7-all-season-tyres-8-mil/283210131280?epid=11014679795&hash=item41f0a3a750:g:Hj4AAOSwu7xbwzz8:rk:199:pf:0

Quite surprised they haven't gone already, seems a very keen price. Although the wheels aren't exactly my cuppa, as winters they would be ideal and very saleable later on. I might be convincing myself, I'm going to Yorkshire over Christmas and tyres were in the back of my mind although it was fine when I was there in December last year. There are a few logistical issues plus not sure how Direct Line will view changing the wheels, they can be a bit awkward at times....  :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.