Author Topic: No more non-PP (and hello!)?  (Read 15190 times)

Offline weytf

• Not said much yet
No more non-PP (and hello!)?
« on: 22 May 2018, 11:51 »
'ello there everyone... I've been lurking here for a while as I have a new GTI on the way! It's Pure White, 3 door (I may live to regret that...) Dynaudio and non-PP.

Anyway. I've been looking out for updates on this year's build week changes, and popped onto the online configurator for a lark... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would appear that the 230ps non-PP car is no longer available?

I think I missed out on that change by a matter of weeks, damnit!

Anyway. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, everybody!
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 12:12 by weytf »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: No more non-PP (and hello!)?
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2018, 12:24 »
Yes, non-PP GTI now deleted... as is the manual gearbox on the R.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ne0star

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2018, 12:48 »
I went for the three door (I liked the look better).  I discussed it with the wife first as we have two young children and my son still needs a seat with a harness.  We tried putting the cars seats in a used 3 door they had on the forecourt and it seemed fine so I placed the order.

I have to say its so far not been an issue.  There is more room in the back than my last car, a 5 door 3 series BMW, and in a lot of respects its easier with the kids.  My daughter is old enough climb in herself and with my son I just climb into the back and put him in his seat.  I'm 6ft and can comfortably stand in the back and fix him in.  It also means there are no door handles and windows for them to play with.

There are obviously downsides like if you need to let anybody out, but when I thought about it me and all my mates had 3 door cars when we were young and we never thought anything about it.

I guess it just depends on personal choice and circumstances.

I actually choose the non-pp DSG over a manual PP.  again it was just personal choice keeping within a budget, but its still fantastic and is more than capable enough for my driving style.
2018 Golf GTI DSG in Deep Pearl Black

Offline weytf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2018, 13:25 »
Good to know, ne0. I've not got sprogs, but I'm changing (upgrading) from a 5-door A-Class, so have convinced myself that I'd miss the back doors (despite hardly ever needing to use them!).

I've also gone DSG. I can't think of a single reason why I'd want a manual for a daily driver!

3 weeks to go. I'M SO EXCITED!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2018, 13:53 »
Welcome to the forum :cool:

You won’t be disappointed with the 230ps DSG.

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2018, 14:08 »
Hmm wonder what this means for my order.

Ordered a non-PP GTI on Saturday and still waiting on the build info/tracker info from the dealership.  The delivery date I got given was 28th Sept  :huh:

I’m going to chase up this afternoon and see if they know.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline weytf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2018, 14:13 »
You could be really very lucky, Colh! Got my fingers crossed for ya :)

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2018, 14:34 »
Any idea what’s changing?

I got lucky with the one I’m trading in.  Got an upgraded infotainment with CarPlay and engine went from 122ps to a whopping 125ps with no price increase.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline weytf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2018, 14:37 »
Can't tell you anything other than what I've seen on the configurator - no more 230ps engine available, only the PP at 245ps.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2018, 15:57 »
Hmm wonder what this means for my order.

Ordered a non-PP GTI on Saturday and still waiting on the build info/tracker info from the dealership.  The delivery date I got given was 28th Sept  :huh:

Well, the announcement to the dealers was in mid April 2018.... I don't know when the configurator changed but almost certainly I'd say that the order will be rejected by the factory if its a brand new build and hasn't got a build date yet (which it won't...because that it 4 weeks before its built). If you are getting delivery end of September, it will have a build week around end of August - definitely after the end of July swap of production.

If they are calling off in flight production, maybe not.

Definitely go check!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC