Author Topic: Electronic/automatic handbrake  (Read 3202 times)

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Electronic/automatic handbrake
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2018, 11:23 »
@OP When you try to pull away do you just get off the clutch or also press throttle?
It will not release just with coming off clutch.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Restlessnative

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2018, 13:32 »
I've noticed my 7.5 GTD do this at times. It's annoying but I usually turn off the auto hold and it sorts itself out. It's been doing this on a rare occasion since I got it.

Same here.It can do it 5 or 6 times in a week.Then not do it again for months.At least there's less danger of someone running into the back of you, since the brake lights stay on.
Current: Golf GTD MK7  3 door manual carbon grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2018, 14:26 »
Four and a half years, four mk7's, and I've found the parking brake to be pretty good all in all.
I've had the odd patch where it behaved strangely. A few times trying to manoeuvre out of tight spaces on steep hills it has played up and a couple of times trying to pull away from traffic lights it has decided it wasn't having any of it, yet the following day it always behaved flawlessly!

As Watts said, there's a current recall and it might help smooth things out. I had it done on my last service and it has been working very imperceptibly smoothly since.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2018, 00:07 »
@OP When you try to pull away do you just get off the clutch or also press throttle?

I was just thinking this the other day. I do tend to lift off clutch a bit first before dabbing the throttle. I tried changing my technique and going throttle first and it seems fine now. Has only been two days but will stick with it, hopefully that’s it.

Not sure about this recall though. Is it serious?  I’ve not been contacted.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2018, 14:52 »

I was just thinking this the other day. I do tend to lift off clutch a bit first before dabbing the throttle. I tried changing my technique and going throttle first and it seems fine now. Has only been two days but will stick with it, hopefully that’s it.

Not sure about this recall though. Is it serious?  I’ve not been contacted.

It's a service recall as in they will do it when you pitch up for something, not in that they contact you. You can always speak to your dealer service dept and they can check for you.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2018, 08:49 »
L've had no problem with my auto hold auto brake and now use most days.  I've figured out that I need to have my seat belt on before I start my engine, for it to activate automatically.  What I used to do, is get in the car and start the engine before I sort myself out, sort out my seatbelt and in this instance it would not activate automatically.

Q: How does one activate it in those instnces.  I've tried pressing the button but it seems not to do anything?
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2018, 09:09 »
They changed the behaviour of the handbrake over the years.

It used to be that without the seatbelt on you had to manually release it with the button and once you had done that it wasn't on auto... which was why you'll find horror stories of cars rolling into walls and stuff...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2018, 13:39 »
They changed the behaviour of the handbrake over the years.

It used to be that without the seatbelt on you had to manually release it with the button and once you had done that it wasn't on auto... which was why you'll find horror stories of cars rolling into walls and stuff...

Thanks, that explains that one then.
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black