Author Topic: Newbie looking for advise  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Davers1

• Just got here
Newbie looking for advise
« on: 14 May 2018, 08:03 »
Hi guys I’m just looking for a little advise. After reading lots of posts and lurking I’ve decided to join up and ask some experts.
I’m in the process of trying to buy a 2013 gti here in Ireland.
The price is in my budget which is considerably lower then expected but I feel the reason the price is low due to spec on car.
It’s white , with the standard 17” alloys, 3 door Manual with cloth interior.
It’s lacking the performance pack , the upgraded lights , parking sensors (even rear).
What I’m wondering is can this be made to look better I was thinking of immediately upgrading the wheels to 18” or 19”.
But will the car sit very high or will it be the Same set up as 18”/19” from factory ?
I’ve looked around a lot of cars for sale and this “poverty spec” seems to be very unusual and totally basic.
I’ve struggled googling to find what actually was a basic spec in 2013 and cross reference.

So my question is should I Wait and save more money or get this one and do the upgrades as budget allows.
If I could post a photo you’d see how bad this particular one looks 😂...

Any advise or input greatly appreciated .

Many thanks for reading
Dave

Offline cossiegaz82

• Not said much yet
Re: Newbie looking for advise
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2018, 08:32 »
If you don't like the car you're looking at then I would wait until you've got the dough to buy the one you really want. If you buy it then you'll never be happy with it and regret buying it as it's not what you really want, that's my opinion anyway  :wink:

Good things come to those who wait as the saying goes!  :smiley:

As for the suspension, I can't see it being different but maybe have a word with the parts dept in a dealer. Give them your reg no or vin and a reg of a car of the spec you want and they should be able to see what is fitted to what car.

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2018, 08:43 »
+1   i waited until i found what i wanted and loved my mk5 right up till i got the 7.5 ten years later.. :)

+ having more cash is always good for hashing out a good deal...

If you don't like the car you're looking at then I would wait until you've got the dough to buy the one you really want. If you buy it then you'll never be happy with it and regret buying it as it's not what you really want, that's my opinion anyway  :wink:

Good things come to those who wait as the saying goes!  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 09:30 by maxie »

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2018, 09:19 »
Hi guys I’m just looking for a little advise. After reading lots of posts and lurking I’ve decided to join up and ask some experts.

What I’m wondering is can this be made to look better I was thinking of immediately upgrading the wheels to 18” or 19”.
But will the car sit very high or will it be the Same set up as 18”/19” from factory ?

The car wouldn’t sit any higher than it does at present, as 18”/19” wheels would require lower profile tyres than those fitted to the current 17” wheels, to keep the overall rolling radius of the wheels+tyres the same as they currently are.

So my question is should I Wait and save more money or get this one and do the upgrades as budget allows.
If I could post a photo you’d see how bad this particular one looks.

Any advise or input greatly appreciated .

Many thanks for reading
Dave

When you say it looks bad, is that bad as in the ride height is too high, or bad as in the overall condition of the car? If the condition’s poor, I’d not consider buying it.

As others have said, it’d be better to wait until the right car comes along. If Ireland is like the UK mainland, the GTI won’t be in short supply on the used car market, so wait until you find one you’d be happy with.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2018, 10:21 »
Hi Dave,
Fellow Irish man here so I can advise!

When the MK7 GTI was first launched in Ireland in 2013, the standard spec was poor. I bought one of the first Irish MK7 GTI's myself, but in my case, I threw a lot of extra dough at it to spec it up properly (I had more cash than sense).

So, as you've discovered, the standard spec was poor enough. Off the top of my head, none of the following was standard:

- xenons
- 18" wheels (17's were standard)
- climate control
- parking sensors
- adaptive cruise
- no rear tint

In late 2014, VW Ireland made major alterations to both pricing and spec, the pendulum completely swung the other way, so from 142 / 151 onwards, Irish GTI are very well spec'd - better than UK in most cases I think.

So... assuming your budget doesn't stretch to 142/151, then you'll have to try finding the earlier cars and if you're lucky you might come across one like my old one where the original owner spent money on the options list! It sounds like the car you're looking at is bargain basement though.

To answer your question re the wheels - to the best of my knowledge the cars on the 17" wheels have the same suspension setup as the cars on 18's or even 19's. No ride height difference. So you could upgrade the wheels and tyres but it will cost you.
Other stuff - like xenons - could be done too but that's much harder and more costly work.

Personally I'd continue your hunt and find a better spec'd example.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2018, 10:32 »
@JoeGTI, Can I ask, what do you mean by "142/151"?
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2018, 10:41 »
@JoeGTI, Can I ask, what do you mean by "142/151"?

Ah - it's our (imo stupid) reg plate system here. Our reg plate system is split into 2 per year -January 1st - June 30th and then July 1st - Dec 31st.

So if your car was registered in the first half of this year it'll have a "181" plate. If its registered in the 2nd half, it'll be a "182".

for example: "181 - D - 100"

where "D" is the county identifier (Dublin) and "100" means it's the 100'th car to be registered in that registration period.

The advantage of the system is that people can tell at a glance how old a car is and the number is generally easy to remember (certainly the first part of it, e.g. I saw the get-away car and it had a "142-D" plate!).

The disadvantage that many people argue is that it unnecessarily ages a car prematurely, that it just drives people into changing cars, keeping up with the Jones's etc...

Up until 2012, there was only one plate change per year. Jan-Dec. (12-D-12345). They changed it to the above in 2013. Some say it was because of the fear that people would not want a "13" plate - superstition!! But the real reason is just to create this fake "new plate" event in the middle of the summer which was traditionally very slow for car sales....

« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 10:44 by JoeGTI »

Offline 2007GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2018, 10:52 »
Ah ok, thanks.
2014 Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr in Carbon Grey, 18s, leather

Gone but not forgotten '07 Mk5 GTI DSG (2006 to 2014)

Offline Davers1

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2018, 11:09 »
Guys, firstly thanks so much for your information and time.
I’ve been on different forums over the years and not had such a helpful response.
To answer some questions ..
the car is clean needs a bumper painted / possibly bumper for stone chips .
Overall condition is decent.
And drove quite well.
I’m not sure how to upload a picture ..
which I could show ?

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2018, 11:17 »
Guys, firstly thanks so much for your information and time.
I’ve been on different forums over the years and not had such a helpful response.
To answer some questions ..
the car is clean needs a bumper painted / possibly bumper for stone chips .
Overall condition is decent.
And drove quite well.
I’m not sure how to upload a picture ..
which I could show ?

Have you a link to the ad?

Or if you need to upload a photo, try using this: https://imgbb.com

Upload image to there and then paste in the "Full BB code full linked" links here.