Author Topic: Moving from a TDI to a GTI - at last!  (Read 6672 times)

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
Re: Moving from a TDI to a GTI - at last!
« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2018, 11:14 »
It's here! I love it! This morning was my second commute to work in my new GTI(pp) and I've noticed that my driving style has definitely changed.

Driving a 1.6 TDI I was having to really put my foot down to get any expression from the car at all and would often cruise along the motorway at a slightly higher than average speed.

With the GTI though, it's that knowing of what you have and how you can use it that puts the smile on my face even before putting a foot down. Cruising at 65-70 is absolutely fine because if I want to overtake someone then I can at the blip of a throttle.

So yeah, I think fast cars are definitely safer given the right mindset.

In fact that reminds me - the only time I got a speeding penalty was when I moved out of an ST and into a Polo rental for a week. Took so much effort to get going that I ended up screwing up!

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2018, 15:57 »
MrBinks, how come your rear badge is chrome and not red like it should be for PP models?

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2018, 16:07 »
MrBinks, how come your rear badge is chrome and not red like it should be for PP models?

that was my 2nd thought, after nice car :)

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2018, 16:24 »
I just got a 63 plate with the PP it has a chrome badge thought it was only early one that didn’t come with the red.

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2018, 22:54 »
I did wonder, as it was my opinion that they were supposed to be red - I wasn’t 100% sure though. Hmm...

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2018, 23:14 »
I did wonder, as it was my opinion that they were supposed to be red - I wasn’t 100% sure though. Hmm...

Maybe a silly question, but does your car have the other visual identifiers for the performance pack model? Red GTI badge on the front grille red, GTI logo on the front brake calipers, the larger front discs and vented rear discs?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline MrBinks

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7 GTI PP
« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2018, 08:55 »

Maybe a silly question, but does your car have the other visual identifiers for the performance pack model? Red GTI badge on the front grille red, GTI logo on the front brake calipers, the larger front discs and vented rear discs?

Yes, it does (and the LSD option in the menus).

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2018, 09:07 »
A registration year number is not necessarily aligned with VW manufacturing changes.

Perfectly possible that the red badge for the PP came during the 6 months of 63 plates... I can't remember when it happened.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 23 May 2018, 10:43 »
A registration year number is not necessarily aligned with VW manufacturing changes.

Perfectly possible that the red badge for the PP came during the 6 months of 63 plates... I can't remember when it happened.

But MrBinks said he has a 2016 model. Suspect rear end at some point maybe or previous owner debadged and garage rebadged incorrectly?

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #39 on: 23 May 2018, 14:57 »
Yeah...i struggled to sell my 63reg Leon FR tdi Dsg, 38k miles immaculate cond. Managed to get £7900 for it.
Hardly any interest tbh.
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.