Author Topic: 6 month old GTI 7.5 Cracked Windscreen  (Read 4053 times)

Offline charlie_cc

• Not said much yet
Re: 6 month old GTI 7.5 Cracked Windscreen
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2018, 10:14 »
It's a matter of principal, not the money, it will only cost me £75 if I go through insurance.

I have dashcam footage of me parking the car on my drive with no crack, then starting the car up with the crack.

The crack starts where the windscreen joins the car below the wipers and below the line of the bonnet, and then branches out into the 2 cracks, so it's almost impossible anything could impact there. I do have a photo of the front, but due to reflections it's extremely hard to see.

I have an appointment with the dealer on Thursday, so let's see what they've got to say.
« Last Edit: 20 February 2018, 10:33 by charlie_cc »

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2018, 13:06 »
I’m not sure about VW but a similar thing happened to a F80 M3 recently...parked up outside suddenly a crack appeared in the windscreen. BMW replaced it under warranty no questions asked! Keep us informed on how it goes!

Also auto glass is very hit and miss when it comes to replacing windscreens. Some of their techs are enthusiasts and do a perfect job others complete waste of time. Hence why it is better to get VW to do it (although they will probably get auto glass to do it anyway!) but at least you can go back to them if it’s not perfect. Insist on a genuine VW screen in either case...none of this 3rd party rubbish - especially if you go through insurance!

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2018, 15:06 »
VW don't fit windscreens at dealers and usually get 3rd party fitters in or send your car out.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline charlie_cc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2018, 10:38 »
As expected, they claimed it was a stone chip.

I guess it may well be, all I know is it's below the line of the windscreen wipers and the crack developed while sat on my drive.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2018, 12:23 »
The crack expanding over night is common - you have an impact damage which turns into a crack as it gets cold during the night.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 22 February 2018, 12:37 »

I guess it may well be, all I know is it's below the line of the windscreen wipers and the crack developed while sat on my drive.

It was worth a go, I hope you get it replaced ASAP.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2018, 14:17 »

On warranty claims in general, I’ve read on one VW forum (sorry, can’t remember which one) that VW seem to be taking a much firmer line. Warranty claims for white worm corrosion on diamond cut alloys used to just involve the dealer taking photos of the defect and (presumably) sending them to VW to authorise a new replacement. Apparently, the dealer now also takes paint/powder coat/ lacquer thickness readings on the wheels as well as taking photos - assume this is so VW can initially deny the warranty claim if they feel a wheel has been refurbished, even if it hasn’t.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline O2Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2018, 20:47 »

On warranty claims in general, I’ve read on one VW forum (sorry, can’t remember which one) that VW seem to be taking a much firmer line. Warranty claims for white worm corrosion on diamond cut alloys used to just involve the dealer taking photos of the defect and (presumably) sending them to VW to authorise a new replacement. Apparently, the dealer now also takes paint/powder coat/ lacquer thickness readings on the wheels as well as taking photos - assume this is so VW can initially deny the warranty claim if they feel a wheel has been refurbished, even if it hasn’t.

I guess with Dieselgate they have had to spend their money elsewhere covering up the cheating they have been up to  :grin:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2018, 09:01 »
^^ 😴😴
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.