Author Topic: VAG automatics  (Read 4266 times)

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
VAG automatics
« on: 14 February 2018, 23:16 »
I've just got a new 7.5 Golf gti with DSG gearbox. Previously driving an Audi TT wtih S-tronic box and to be honest I thought they were the same by different names.

The Golf is far less responsive. There's a distinct pause before it changes down when you accelerate. is this normal with DSG? And is the DSG a different box to the S-tronic.

Engine seems much less punchy though both are 2 litre and both 230 hp.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: VAG automatics
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2018, 08:11 »
They are the same. The new car will still be tight and also the gearbox won't have learned your driving style yet.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2018, 09:26 »
Put the car is sport mode and the gear changes will become much more snappy. Nice response although I don't like it hanging onto the gears so long therefore rarely use that mode.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Zayd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2018, 16:07 »
Personally, after owning my MK7 GTI for a year now and covered 6K miles, the ideal setup is to leave the driving mode in sport, but with the tranny in normal mode.  This firms up a number of things including; throttle response, steering wheel, ACC, window wipers and exhaust note.  I feel this is the mode this car should be run in to achieve its expected potential.
Turbocharged and liking it...

Offline canalmike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2018, 17:07 »
Thanks.

trouble with sport mode is it holds each gear much longer before changing up.

Even when new, the TT responded very differently which is why I wondered how similar they are.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2018, 18:57 »
It's probably to do the throttle response mapping then. Someone will be along shortly to point you in the direction of a pedal box.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 February 2018, 19:32 »
The gearbox has an ecu, which you can get remapped to change the shift points and shift speeds, aftermarket. Just because they are both VAG doesn't mean that the gearbox is given the same map from the factory. Wouldn't be surprised if the Audi has a sportier gearbox map than the Golf. VW are notoriously conservative in a number of areas, the throttle response, or lack of it, being a very obvious example.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2018, 20:09 »
Anyone here done a dsg software change?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2018, 21:03 »
I thought that gearbox remaps just gave you full control in manual mode, rather than it upshifting when you want to hold onto the last few revs just before a corner.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2018, 21:07 »
DTUK Pedal box  :grin:

Discount code RF80  :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11