Author Topic: Perished grommet on tailgate  (Read 24233 times)

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Re: Perished grommet on tailgate
« Reply #20 on: 29 February 2016, 18:37 »
Thanks again Kev much appreciated you got back to me.

So the black stuff on your picture is sealant. That makes sense.
I wonder with my grommet perishing its because the tailgate is slightly lower with the grommet hitting the trim and thus leaving room for water to get in the hinge(s)
I'll give the dealer a call in the morning and see what they say to my suggestion.

I've attached your picture here in case its of help to others. Hope that's ok.

Cheers

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 04 March 2016, 20:58 »
Just to update my thread, The dealer has replaced the air vents or words to that effect behind the bumper. He thought the water might have been getting in there. He re did the soak test and the water has come back in overnight. So they were looking at other causes.
I told him about the hinge and the paint acting as a seal and he basically just gave me lip service. "Yeah I'll pass it on" but he didn't seem interested at all.
So that's a full 5 days they have had my car and probably the same again next week  :cry:
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2016, 14:40 »
Just to update this in case anyone else has the same problem. Got may car back including a nice paint chip on the bonnet and the trim down the windscreen gouged. And that is with me doing a walk round before I left my car!!!

Anyway the water was found to be coming in through the fuel flap filler entrance. They reckoned the drain, not on the rubber but underneath all that was clogged and the water had no way to escape. So was collecting and then running down into the boot. Its all sorted now apparently  :rolleyes:

Offline C2K

• Here all the time
  • Northern Monkey
« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2016, 21:45 »
Cheers for the heads up on the grommet. Getting it sorted under warranty. :)
5 Door Night Blue GTD
Dynaudio, 19" Santiago Alloys, Adaptive Chassis, Leather Pack, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Bianca White 306 Rallye (Supercharged + Caged) : Melting Silver F54 Mini Clubman Cooper S

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2016, 13:43 »
Just to update this in case anyone else has the same problem. Got may car back including a nice paint chip on the bonnet and the trim down the windscreen gouged. And that is with me doing a walk round before I left my car!!!

Anyway the water was found to be coming in through the fuel flap filler entrance. They reckoned the drain, not on the rubber but underneath all that was clogged and the water had no way to escape. So was collecting and then running down into the boot. Its all sorted now apparently  :rolleyes:

Found myself thinking about this, a while after reading it for the first time. Are they really saying that, if that drain is blocked, then anything in the filler  opening could find it's way into the boot? OK if that's water, but it's just as likely to be petrol, surely? Even fumes getting into the boot could be a hazard, so I'm hoping there isn't a passageway between the two.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2016, 22:23 »
Its not the drain hole you see when you open your fuel flap. That is where the petrol would go if you didn't stop filling once it had come up to the neck of the filler.

I spoke with the technician who worked on my car as I wasn't that happy about how he had pulled the door into the frame more to stop the outside noise coming in but that's a different story  :laugh:

The way I understood him was, if you open your fuel flap you will see that the plastic shroud isn't sealed to the body of the car. You can move it about slightly. So when its raining and the water is running down the side of your car some is going to make its way into the fuel flap area. Some will drop off and go out through the drainage hole but some will make its way behind the plastic shroud. He told me that's natural and there is a drainage system in there but for some reason mine had been closed over. He never said what with. Probably paint or body sealant. Anyway with that sealed up there was nowhere for the water to go so after it had filled up so far it made its way round to the boot.  He said the car has what you could describe as an inner skin and this is usually sealed so nothing can get in but this particular skin compartment had access.

I had an old car a few years back as a run around and every time you braked you could hear what sounded like a bath full of water swishing back and forth  :laugh: I never did find out where it was as it didn't cause any problems but probably something similar.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2016, 22:34 »
Thanks for explaining that. Hope whatever they've done solves the problem!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 13 May 2018, 16:59 »
Noticed the grommet was missing on mine. The pipe is still hovering over the hole so any opinions as to whether it really needs the pipe replacing? If so, does anyone know what the part number is? Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2018, 21:12 »
Just replaced mine as the grommet failed months ago and it's been perfectly fine. BUT last time I washed the car I noticed when I opened the hatch water ran down the inside of te rear screen. Looking closer the pipe had moved slightly to one side and draining inside the hatch. I put a slightly longer hose on from a trigger squirt bottle and it is better quality than the oem one and I cut it so it will not disappear inside the tailgate. I have also fixed it in place with a grommet and clear silicone.

This is the rear trip showing the fixing positions after you have removed both of the side trim pieces.....

This is the tube.....

Tube exiting tailgate.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2018, 21:22 »
Thanks for that Finglonga, very useful. I shall ponder what to do, but at least now I know I do have to sort it. I don't understand why they break, can't see where the stress comes from.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.