Author Topic: Another one goes bang?  (Read 10744 times)

Offline andykram

• I live here
Another one goes bang?
« on: 08 January 2015, 19:52 »
Have I suffered the dreaded tensioner fault? What do you all reckon at this one?
On way home tonight (30 mile motorway commute) I had an "engine fault, go to workshop" message flash up on the dash. No lights. It went away but as I got into my part of Leeds queuing in traffic (about 15 miles later) the EPC light kept flashing as it revved past about 1500. As I queued it sounded pretty rough. I parked it up at home and booked it into my normal VW dealer in Donny.
Rang the RAC who came out and read the fault as P0341, P000A and P0011, one of which is a camshaft timing fault. The RAC man turned the engine on and it sounded rough at that 1500 point just above tickover but it will actually rev all the way up to 5 or 6000 as normal.
Now, he reckons I might have been lucky and caught it in time but I'm programmed to fear the worst that the engine has gone bang from being a member on here for 5 1/2 years. What do you reckon is going on? Obviously, it's booked to be trailered into Donny on Saturday morning with a view to a Monday diagnosis so I'm not going to drive it again.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Another one goes bang?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2015, 20:14 »
Did he bother his ass to compression test it?
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 08 January 2015, 20:37 »
Suggest you look to get Ben at Skipton Volkswagen to assist.  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Poached

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2015, 20:59 »
Sounds like you may have caught it before it has completely failed, in some instances like mine the car was initially rough to start and run with EPC light on which would later disappear. A startup or two later turned out to be fatal.

I wouldn't like to say there was no damage at this stage though :lipsrsealed:.

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2015, 21:49 »
I was hoping that I'd caught it in time. Surely it wouldn't rev all the way up if it was shot. And it actually ticks over fine - it only sounds rough at about 1500rpm.

Having said that, I'm still bracing myself for the worst!!

Think I'll take the Bluefin remap off before it gets trailered too!!

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 January 2015, 22:23 »
Well, a turn up for the books. It hadn't gone bang. There was indeed a timing error code related to variable cam timing. There were oil deposits in the loom to the cam adjuster unit so they replaced the unit, cleaned up the loom, put a new seal on and amazingly it's fine. They replaced a leaking air intake pipe at the same time and Bob's your uncle. I've driven it back to Leeds from Doncaster and they'd done an extensive test on it also and so far (fingers and everything else crossed) it's fine. No damage to valves or pistons at all.
For this they relieved me of £500 of my finest pounds. And bearing in mind I was fearing the worst I don't think I've ever been so relieved to pay £500!!
Remember, I'd had the chain tensioner replaced with an up to date one when the car was four years old so that should not have failed 18 months later but I'd still feared the worst.
Have I just been incredibly lucky or is this not actually related to the tensioner issue?
I'll be honest though and say it has dented my faith in the car a bit. I was looking at replacements just before Chrimbo anyway so whether I choose to keep it or not to justify spending the £500 or get rid before it does go pop (which of course it shouldn't) I don't know yet.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2015, 01:33 »
VAG Error Code: 16725/000833
EOBD II Error Code: P0341

Fault Location:
Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40) - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Possible Cause:
Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
Possible Lack/Loss of Power.
Engine may stall while driving.

Faulty starter motor.
Starting system circuit.
Dead (Weak) battery.
Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40) faulty.
Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40) faulty.
Timing misaligned.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Wiring/Connector(s) from/to Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).
Check Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40).
Check Timing.

Tech Notes:
Sometimes and in some models, low battery voltage or a weak starter can trigger a Camshaft Position Sensor code.

When is the code detected?:
The camshaft position sensor signal sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM) during the first few seconds of engine cranking is out of range.

Description:
The Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor is an electronic device used in an engine to record the rate at which the camshaft is spinning. This information is used by the Engine Control Module (ECM) to control ignition and fuel injection. The camshaft position sensor senses the retraction of camshaft (intake) to identify a particular cylinder. The Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor senses the piston position. The sensor system consists of a rotating part, typically a disc, as well as a static part, the actual sensor. When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change. When the crankshaft position sensor (POS) system becomes inoperative, the camshaft position sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

When the engine is running, the high and low parts of the teeth cause the gap with the sensor to change. The changing gap causes the magnetic field near the sensor to change. The change in the magnetic field cause the voltage from the sensor to change.

When the Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor system becomes inoperative, the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor provides various controls of engine parts instead, utilizing timing of cylinder identification signals.

VAG Error Code: 000010
EOBD II Error Code: P000A

Fault Location:
Intake Camshaft Position A, Bank 1 - Positioner Slow Response

Possible Cause:

Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty.
Wiring/Connector(s).
Intake Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205).
Perform Output Test.
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Check Intake Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1).
Perform Basic Setting.
Check for Tightness of the Adjustment Mechanism.
Check Engine Oil Pressure.
Possible blockage of the oil pickup pipe.
Difference between target and actual > 8° CRK and adjustment angle > 2.5° CRK.

VAG Error Code: 16395/000017
EOBD II Error Code: P0011

Fault Location:
Camshaft A (Intake) Left/Front, Bank 1 - Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Possible Cause:
Power Loss.

Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty.
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty.
Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.
Dirty engine oil.
Low engine oil level.

Possible Solutions:
Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205).
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17).
Check Mechanical Timing.
Difference between target and actual > 8° CRK and adjustment angle < 2.5° CRK.

Special Notes:
When found in Engine: 4.0l W8.
Check Technical Product Information (TPI) 2010059 Rest of World (RoW). Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster).

As taken from my EOBD II Fault Codes Software
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2015, 12:21 »
Well, a turn up for the books. It hadn't gone bang. There was indeed a timing error code related to variable cam timing. There were oil deposits in the loom to the cam adjuster unit so they replaced the unit, cleaned up the loom, put a new seal on and amazingly it's fine. They replaced a leaking air intake pipe at the same time and Bob's your uncle. I've driven it back to Leeds from Doncaster and they'd done an extensive test on it also and so far (fingers and everything else crossed) it's fine. No damage to valves or pistons at all.
For this they relieved me of £500 of my finest pounds. And bearing in mind I was fearing the worst I don't think I've ever been so relieved to pay £500!!
Remember, I'd had the chain tensioner replaced with an up to date one when the car was four years old so that should not have failed 18 months later but I'd still feared the worst.
Have I just been incredibly lucky or is this not actually related to the tensioner issue?

I'll be honest though and say it has dented my faith in the car a bit. I was looking at replacements just before Chrimbo anyway so whether I choose to keep it or not to justify spending the £500 or get rid before it does go pop (which of course it shouldn't) I don't know yet.
Not related.  There is a few things can go wrong in that location. Bearing failure, chain stretching,  chain tensioners, chain guides, variator, blocked feeds to tensioner etc etc.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2015, 23:03 »
Cheers Snoopy and Keith for the info. Obviously I'm glad it's not the big one and hopefully the preventative tension change will continue to do its job. I didn't realise there were so many other possible faults.

Offline erasmo.monteiro

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2018, 14:09 »
@andykram what is the part code replaced (cam adjuster unit) ? Is it Control Valve 06H109257C or Camshaft Bridge (06h103106G) ?
« Last Edit: 26 January 2018, 14:47 by erasmo.monteiro »