Author Topic: I have bought a Mk2 8v GTI today! Its a project car with a few faults  (Read 14672 times)

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
The key goes round and round in the Barrol and the 2 bits you squeeze together are stuck you can't physically squeeze them together.

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
I have managed to get the glove box open, the catch/ lock is totalled, the stays on either side are broken so the lid just flops down should be interesting trying to get a new lock, I think ill try and repair the stays as the condition of the lid is cosmetically sound.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2014, 22:18 by chocice »

Offline oakgreener

• GTI forum regular
Looks like you have the ''campaign'' model, special edition, and the wheels look to be the original Le castelets.
You should have rainbow trim seats as well.
Oh, and it should have the black VW grill badge also :wink:

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Yes that's right its the campaign model are there many of these about these days in original condition, I hadn't seen one before, although I wasn't really looking tbh. I expected it to have more then 2 speakers but it looks like there are 2 speakers in the back and where the door speakers should be there are little cubby draws instead? seems a bit mean on a GTI.

Offline oakgreener

• GTI forum regular
There are two speakers in the rear parcel supports and two in the grills left and right of the dash, up by the windscreen. I had an ''88 mk2 that had the cubby holes in the door pockets, my ''91 run out model has speakers.
Here's a thread on mk2 campaigns...........
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=141736.0

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Here is a lovely original:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk1-mk2/vw-golf-mk2-gti-campaign/1430003

I thought I had the original stereo but I have a Blaupunkt Paris could this have still been an original radio?

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Looks like you have the ''campaign'' model, special edition, and the wheels look to be the original Le castelets.
You should have rainbow trim seats as well.
Oh, and it should have the black VW grill badge also :wink:

Should it have had black badges on the front and back? how come some cars have the silver badges and some have black?

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Finally got round to taking it to my local mechanics to have a good look and it looks like all that welding that was supposed to have been done is just bloody filler and the new sills are the original sills with black tape going across them. Well at least I can get a proper job done now.

Offline chocice

• Not said much yet
Hi guys,

Just a little update about, managed to fix the glove box, wire in the original radio which is awesome, all the carpets and seats out as well as door cards and it's not rotten yay! I figured I would mop the car and it's looking amazing.  It's currently having the entire underside scraped clean and re sealed as well as new door sills, the only issue on this car was a poor rust repair job around the jacking point where filler was used, although looking at the £700 receipt from 2009 it states rear of car stripped sand blasted and new jacking point welded to replace corroded area, but the guy at the garage showed me a little nuben of a jacking point with filler shaped around it. You just can't trust some garages.

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
Original stereo's varied - Blaupunkts, Panasonics and even Sony's were fitted.