Author Topic: My Perfect EQ Settings (Dynaudio)  (Read 39180 times)

Offline Spud122

• Not said much yet
Re: My Perfect EQ Settings (Dynaudio)
« Reply #80 on: 16 November 2018, 12:01 »
Cheers, I hadn't seen this before.

I had always thought the sound was pretty good, but i'm very impressed with the improvement, sound is much clearer.

Mine is now set as follows
Bass -3
Mid - 7
Treb +1
Sub +4

I have to say feeding the Mid back up now I realise how much better this is.

Thanks.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #81 on: 26 March 2019, 21:28 »
Old thread resurrected. Very subjective but are there any audiophiles who recommend a particular EQ for the DynAudio?

Mine always seems to be to boomy or too tinny. Struggling to find the sweet spot. Although only three weeks old so possibly still bedding in?
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #82 on: 26 March 2019, 22:21 »
Very subjective but are there any audiophiles who recommend a particular EQ for the DynAudio?

Mine always seems to be to boomy or too tinny. Struggling to find the sweet spot. Although only three weeks old so possibly still bedding in?
I listen to a lot of vocal house/dance, so I like my mids and highs to pop with a solid bass backtrack that punches but doesn't overwhelm. So I have mine set as:

Authentic
Sub: 6
Bass: 5
Mid: 7
Treble: 9

Mines coming up to 2000miles old now and it's really starting to bed in nicely, it sounds much more punchier & flexible than when I first got it.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #83 on: 28 April 2019, 21:58 »
Another month on, I’m still fiddling with the EQ and still remain a little disappointed to be honest. Bose on the Audi was enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stick up such was the clarity. DynAudio seems to have too much bass and sounds muffled on vocals or if the bass is turned down a notch, it can sound a bit tinny. I find it varies a lot from track to track too. Im listening to Apple Music (downloaded not streamed) via my iPhone XS.

I’ve largely stuck to Authentic then tweaked the EQ. It’s the Mid I seem to have the biggest problem with, anything above 0 is shrill, I find it has to be on -4 ish to make it sound better.

I’m hoping it’s still bedding in but with 1600 miles on the clock, I suspect it should be by now?
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #84 on: 28 April 2019, 22:15 »
Im listening to Apple Music (downloaded not streamed) via my iPhone XS.
Via Bluetooth or CarPlay? If it's the former then you'll never got a good sound quality as the sound has to be compressed before it can be transferred via Bluetooth.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #85 on: 28 April 2019, 22:22 »
CarPlay via cable.

Incidentally via Bluetooth it sounds the same to me.

SD Card is comparable.

DAB sounds lacking in bass but crank it up a little just makes CarPlay too thumping.

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #86 on: 28 April 2019, 22:27 »
Maybe I just expected too much, hence being disappointed?

Or maybe my middle-aged ears need syringing?  :grin:

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #87 on: 29 April 2019, 08:54 »
I had a long journey this morning and reached a few conclusions.

1. You absolutely cannot set the EQ while stationary with the the engine off. The road noise and sound akuator add rumble which distorts the bass.

2. The EQ varies wildly from track to track and I listen to a mix of genres and don’t tend to listen to albums as I find it feels like listening to the same song for 90 minutes so mines always on shuffle.

So while cruising along at 50 on a long straight road I had a fiddle and for me, it sounds as close to Bose in the Audi when set as follows

Sub +3
Bass -2
Mid -4 (worked out this is where the tinny vocals were coming from)
Treb +3

That works pretty well for me and I’m now happy with the bass and mid range combo. Just goes to show how varied the system can be and how highly subjective different EQs are.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #88 on: 29 April 2019, 09:19 »
The EQ varies wildly from track to track and I listen to a mix of genres and don’t tend to listen to albums as I find it feels like listening to the same song for 90 minutes so mines always on shuffle.
I was racking my brains, as I was sure I posted a response to something similar, then I found it and I realised it was you...

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=284674.msg2600731#msg2600731

You playing different genres etc might be part of the problem, this isn't a Dynaudio specific problem. As I said then, Dynaudio is just the amp (software and physical) and the speakers making 400w of power output (versus the standard 80w), it won’t however impact the bitrate of a song/tune being played, which is the important part to everything, so if the song/tune is a low quality bitrate then it’ll sound inferior to a higher bitrate tune. The higher the bitrate, the better the sound. However, regardless if that tune is being streamed/played at a high bitrate or not, if the original digital file being streamed is of a low bitrate then it still won't sound as good, you normally find this with 80's/90's songs which have very compressed original bitrates. So in the car the Dynaudio simply allows the tune to sound at its best as it's being delivered with more power.

I do agree that the the system is sensitive to bitrate variables, I find this when I am listening to Amzon Music's predefined playlists or stations, but that's not the fault of the system, in-fact one could argue it shows the system has excellent response. IMO the front-stage sound from the Dynaudio tweeters is awesome for a factory system, so much clarity. They beat any of the BOSE or HK system I've had in other cars. The Subwoofer can be heard but not felt (which again is really nice). I like that the Dynaudio EQ is really expansive & flexible so you can adjust to cater for your taste in music, perfectly, wither that be electronic, vocal, or any type of genre where sound sensitive is needed. It's also the sort of system that allows you to turn it up loud without distortion.

Given you are listening to many different genres, I think you're probably going to struggle to find a perfect one-setting-fits-all EQ. :)
« Last Edit: 29 April 2019, 09:27 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
« Reply #89 on: 29 April 2019, 09:43 »
Thanks, I just looked at our previous ‘discussion’ about this - it was a month before I had bought the car so I had completely forgotten!

Like anything with a car, the more settings you can change, the more I can’t resist unnecessarily tinkering!