Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 285350 times)

Offline joe6

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2910 on: 05 October 2017, 18:11 »
Surprised how badly corroded the rear suspension arms had got for a car that is only 7+ years old  :shocked:. Not had this with other cars and they are normally kept in the family for up to 10 years. Also noticed a couple of spots of rust on the wheel well while under the car and the well is not totally covered with under seal. A couple of suspension bushes also look to be perishing. Is VW cutting costs or trying to reduce weight or both? The offside was worse than the nearside - would have expected the opposite. Not had bad winters and I religiously hose down (not pressure wash) the underside in winter. Spent a lot of time cleaning them, removing rust and putting some paint on them.
Carbon Grey, 2010 a few VCDS mods. White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids!!)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • 26 years of GTI ownership.
« Reply #2911 on: 06 October 2017, 19:51 »
A lot of cars are like that nowadays not just VWs. They only underseal the minimum to save weight. Our year old mazda has started underneath :( as has a mates focus ST.
I waxoiled my mk6 underneath from new so mines ok but its poor how much they are cutting back to save weight. Ive seen a certain manufactureres were the paint on the inside of alloys is so thin they are corroding after a few months. Look fine from the outside but get it on a lift and there discusting.

Offline joe6

• Here all the time
« Reply #2912 on: 11 October 2017, 21:03 »
Back to the time then in the 60's and 70's when waxoil was a must for cars to keep them in good condition :sad: . Think I am getting too old for all that now!
Carbon Grey, 2010 a few VCDS mods. White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids!!)

Offline o`Neil

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2913 on: 10 February 2018, 14:21 »
Washed it.

Also plugged in the OBDEleven for the first time, only faults were something to do with the radio.

I plan to change a few things, not many, I`ll have to see how things go  :smiley: