Author Topic: supercharging my mark 4 2lgti  (Read 2159 times)

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
supercharging my mark 4 2lgti
« on: 14 August 2003, 21:11 »
right before i go on ( i dont want to go out and buy a 1.8t car or engine)!! i have the very loosely worded 2l gti and it lacks something (power) so after a bit of research between turbos and superchargers ive decided to add a supercharger to my golf. which i will do but i want to know if its possible has anyone done it...i know superchargers do not run at such high temperatures as turbos but i want some good sound advice i went to my local performance shop and they told me to get a 1.8t NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo i said just want to know if its poss. if anyone can help me in the right direction then it would be appreciated

Offline Rally_Chris

• GTI forum regular
Re:supercharging my mark 4 2lgti
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2003, 12:52 »
not worth the hassle, as recommended sell your car and buy a 1.8T. If that's not fast enough then chip it !

You could doubtless spend thousands in modifying your 2 litre GTI, but why bother as the 1.8T already has better suspension, brakes and interior equipment. You will never see a return on your investment in modifying the 2.0, as it will be harder to sell and more expensive to insure, less reliable etc.....

http://www.golfmk4.co.uk
Mk4 Cruise Control Installation Expert

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2003, 13:38 »
Just to stick my oar in......

If you do decide to supercharge, then Linden Special Vehicles in Wellingborough supercharge may be worth a look - they currently have a Mk4 4motion in there being done.

My old mans holden was done there and now has over 530bhp, so I guess you say they do a good job.

Their number is 01604 766586

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2003, 13:44 »
However, personally driving a diesel car that has more torque than a porsche boxster, I'd say sell up and go for a PD 150!!!

1/10th of a second slower to 60 than the 1.8T (like THAT matters, unless you measure a car by its traffic light grand prix ability!) but blistering in-gear times and 43 miles to the gallon even when you drive like a hooligan (and I should know).

There's nothing like having enough torque to accelerate at 80+ like most cars can only manage at 50!!! Tractor power!!! ;)

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline jasonpi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2003, 13:54 »
thanx s11eps i did say i didnt want to change my car but nobody ever listens cheers m8