Author Topic: Exhaust on MK4 GTI 1.8T  (Read 6580 times)

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
Exhaust on MK4 GTI 1.8T
« on: 05 July 2003, 20:45 »
I thought Exhausts lasted a good 5 years from new these days,
Obviusly not the case, my rear box is blowing and to say the least I'm abit miffed as they cost ?300+ .
So I've decided to get a performance stainless steel rear box to replace it, abit cheaper
Having surfed the net I have found and bought a Peco twin rectangle s/steel box for ?165 "Bargain", or so I thought .
Having looked at the rear bumper I have noticed that there is no arch cut out for the Exhaust to stick out of , As you can imagine I decided strongly against the idea of cutting the arch out my self and have ordered a V6 4Motion rear bumper trim with the arch all ready cut out. ?45

Has any one els had this problem and have you got round in a cheaper way.  

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
Re:Exhaust on MK4 GTI 1.8T
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2003, 20:16 »
You will all be pleased to know that I have decided against a peco exhaust and gone for a full stainless steel Miltech exhaust system from the cat back ;D

Offline pauly

• Not said much yet
  • 1.8T 20V 180Bhp
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2003, 13:27 »
Are you still fitting the new rear vallance then?

I was thinking of getting a magnex exhaust but the car's only 2 months old yet, and apparently their exhaust (twin pipes) shows underneath he rear vallance.

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2003, 14:45 »
There are 2 different types of rear boxes you can get,
There is the stealth which is simular to the standard design were as the rear box is hidden behind the bumper and valance, same as it looks when it comes from the factory,  Or you can go for the none stealth option which is the one were you can see those lovely s/steel twin pipes sticking out of the rear valance in which case you have no option but to go out and buy a V6 4Motion valance ?45 from VW, And if the rear box is fitted properly then the twin pipes should only stick out by about 10mm (aprox). ;D.

Oh and bye the way...........theres a bit of cutting around to do behind the new rear valance before it goes on, you will see what I mean when you try to fit it ,Its not that bad really Ring AMD In Biscester for guidence, You've got to bare in mind that the underneath of a V6 4Motion being a 4 wheel drive is totally different underneath compared to the 1.8T,  Its Well worth it when its done ;)

Offline pauly

• Not said much yet
  • 1.8T 20V 180Bhp
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2003, 13:23 »
I was told by the guy at the Magnex stand at Maxpower (NEC) the other week that the rear vallance didn't need removing.

If not sure now that he was wrong or that the twin s/steel pipes just come out underneath the vallance.

If i was to get a new rear vallance then does it come unpainted, or with an undercoat already?

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2003, 18:16 »
 :-\Not sure if the guy at magnex knows what he's talkin about, If the twin pipes sat under the valance they would be swinging
around like a pair of dogs danglies, hitting the floor every time you went over a bump,

You shouldn't have to spray the new valance it should come finished in black like the one youve already got on your car now,
I am going to have my front and rear valance colour coded in a couple of weeks should look nice ;D

Let me know your E-mail address and I'll send you a picture of my Golf's rear end, Or if you don't want to publicise your E-mail address then here's mine

si_junior@tiscali.co.uk

Give us a shout :)

Offline pauly

• Not said much yet
  • 1.8T 20V 180Bhp
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2003, 13:28 »
Send us a piccy then. You should be able to see myu email address now.

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2003, 20:27 »
Sent you 2 pics today see what you think ;)

Offline pauly

• Not said much yet
  • 1.8T 20V 180Bhp
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2003, 18:17 »
Can you send them again please to pyeomans@postmaster.co.uk. I don't seem to have received them.

I'll wash my motor at the weekend and send you a pic of mine if thats ok with you?

Offline sijunior

• GTI forum regular
  • GTI 20V Turbo
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2003, 20:49 »
No worries mate, :)

the pictures may may take some time to download as they are JPG's,

I'll send them again now ;)