Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362470 times)

Offline 210GTi

• Not said much yet
Hi, Got mine from VW dealer - part no is 06K 109 467K , cost £36.90 + vat but u also need new timing casing, sealant and bolts etc - well worth it for peace of mind when u read some of the horror stories 😁No VW recall as far as I know as they are in denial !! Cheers .

Offline Bobbydazzlerr

• Not said much yet
How much did it cost you for all the parts and labour? Cheers
Full blueflame 3inch turbo back system sports cat, pipercross panel filter, revo stage 2 remap 290 bhp 350 lbft, neuspeed short shift, heko wind deflectors, forge blow off valve.

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet
As this thread is now 48 pages long, and people are not understandably reading through the whole thread....

To save someone else asking what the parts numbers are / cost, page 14 contains it all

Cheers

Mike
« Last Edit: 16 September 2015, 19:10 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline na_s

• Not said much yet
As this thread is now 48 pages long, and people are not understandably reading through the whole thread....

To save someone else asking what the parts numbers are / cost, page 14 contains it all

Cheers

Mike

...or pay less than £400 for a years fully comprehensive dealership warranty and not worry about anything.  :rolleyes:

Offline mikegti77

• Not said much yet

Cheers

Mike

...or pay less than £400 for a years fully comprehensive dealership warranty and not worry about anything.  :rolleyes:

...you could, but buying a warranty does not fix the tensioner fault, so in another 12 months you are faced with the same decision; spend another £400 on a years warranty, or use the money to resolve the problem by fitting the updated tensioner.

Both ways work, no right or wrong, it's which ever your happy with, advantages with both...  :rolleyes:

I too was quote around the £400 to extend the vw warranty cover last year, decide against it, nearly 20K miles later nothing has gone wrong in that time (touch wood), so an £400 extra in my back pocket, but I did spend the money getting the tensioner fitted instead for piece of mind. As I say it's what ever works for you.
« Last Edit: 06 October 2015, 16:49 by mikegti77 »
MK7 GTI, Carbon Grey, Pan Sunroof

Offline na_s

• Not said much yet

Cheers

Mike

...you could, but buying a warranty does not fix the tensioner fault, so in another 12 months you are faced with the same decision; spend another £400 on a years warranty, or use the money to resolve the problem by fitting the updated tensioner.

Both ways work, no right or wrong, it's which ever your happy with, advantages with both...  :rolleyes:

I too was quote around the £400 to extend the vw warranty cover last year, decide against it, nearly 20K miles later nothing has gone wrong in that time (touch wood), so an £400 extra in my back pocket, but I did spend the money getting the tensioner fitted instead for piece of mind. As I say it's what ever works for you.

each to their own, but making the ~£380 purchase, helped me dodge an £800+ bill (VW replaced the lot for me). My warranty is fully comp, so I'm looking at the bigger picture as the amount of things which can go wrong isnt limited to the timing chain alone. I also doubt £400 would fully absorb a turbo or dsg failure.

as you say though, whatever works for you.

Offline Fossie100

• Just got here
  • 2009 (59) Golf GTi 5 door manual
Hi All,

First, thank you for putting all this information together. Apologies if my questions have already been covered by this thread. I have read many of the pages, but there is quite a lot to read! A quick summary of my situation:

- 2009 (59) Golf GTi purchased November 2013 from Citygate High Wycombe. Mileage - 56K
- Bought with 1 year's extended warranty (no notification or renewal offered on expiry Nov 2014).
- Yellow EML warning light occurred when 15 miles from home. Engine running rough / lack of power.
- Next day engine wouldn't start to drive to dealership from home (turns over).
- RAC confirmed no compression and fault codes indicate timing chain has slipped. Camshaft turns.

Car is being recovered to Citygate High Wycombe as I write.  :sad:

Given that:
- The car has only been serviced by VW franchised dealers.
- Car is now 6 years old with mileage around 76k.
- I have no warranty

What do you think my chances are of getting (some of) this paid for by VW?
What is the best approach to getting work done discounted/free?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 21 October 2015, 15:56 by Fossie100 »

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Sorry to say pal but with all the recent news of VW - unlikely

There cutting costs everywhere, still though if it was me I wouldn't accept no for an answer.

Good luck...
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline joe6

• I live here
If you do not get any joy it might be worth talking to trading standards to get their opinion with the evidence from this thread and the USA. A car should not develop a major fault like this after 6 years particularly as it is one of two regularly occurring well known issues (the other being intake manifold) and the part has been redesigned at least twice so VW have acknowledged the problem by default.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Fossie100

• Just got here
  • 2009 (59) Golf GTi 5 door manual
If you do not get any joy it might be worth talking to trading standards to get their opinion with the evidence from this thread and the USA. A car should not develop a major fault like this after 6 years particularly as it is one of two regularly occurring well known issues (the other being intake manifold) and the part has been redesigned at least twice so VW have acknowledged the problem by default.

Thanks Joe6,

Update:
1. Garage confirm piston / valve contact
2. New engine required - approx. £7.5k
3. No goodwill from VW

I have also had the intake manifold replaced in the last 3 months (paid £650) - some goodwill £100.

Next stop - Trading Standards