Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362441 times)

Offline Tobe123

• Just got here
Mainly found this forum due to searching for this problem I developed with my car.

I bought a MK6 GTI from Alan Day VW 4 weeks ago, it had 34k on the clock.. Exactly 28 days after I went to leave work & the car wouldn't turn over, after VW coming out to recover the car and it being transported back to the original garage I bought it from it was found to have no compression after timing chain failure.

The garage have covered the total cost of an engine replacement total £5508 couldn't fault them at all apart from giving me an UP as a replacement to my GTI.

Golf GTI MK6 - 2.0TSI Bluefin Stage 1.

Offline Poached

• I live here
Mainly found this forum due to searching for this problem I developed with my car.

I bought a MK6 GTI from Alan Day VW 4 weeks ago, it had 34k on the clock.. Exactly 28 days after I went to leave work & the car wouldn't turn over, after VW coming out to recover the car and it being transported back to the original garage I bought it from it was found to have no compression after timing chain failure.

The garage have covered the total cost of an engine replacement total £5508 couldn't fault them at all apart from giving me an UP as a replacement to my GTI.

1 year warranty,VW pays for the lot.

Offline CaptainCaveman

• Not said much yet
A bit late but my timing chain went on Christmas eve of all times! Drove car to the shops in the morning everything fine, then later in the afternoon went to get some cash out ready for night out and the car just would not start.

Took it to my local independent and after taking a look inside said that the tensioner had failed and that it would need replacing along with a new chain as mine was pretty knackered. After reading through posts on here about engine rebuilds and such was dreading it.

They explained to me that they would order in the chain and tensioner and try and turn the engine over before stripping the engine down to see if any of the pistons had gone.

Luckily it turned over nicely! After a week and a bit in the shop it was all sorted and ready to be picked up  :smiley:

Full cost for parts and labour came to £720 which I thought was a bargain after seeing some of the costs other people have been given!

I count myself lucky that it went whilst parked up on my driveway and not while I was out or even worse driving!

Car as follows.

MK6 GTI
72000 (roughly at time of incident )
Manual

Offline na_s

• Not said much yet
had this changed this month under warranty (57k miles) new chain & tensioner. (09 DSG)

still don't understand why people don't save themselves a lot of hassle and money whilst knowing this issue exists.

Offline Gaz-M

• Not said much yet
Great, ive had TFSIs in the past and didnt like the idea of my Mk6 GTi ive just bought having a chain. Now i come across this and im properly unhappy! How many manufacturers struggle with chain tensioners!!!

Why on earth change it from a reliable, easy to change belt!!!

So, i have a 10 plate 31k miles, FVWSH Golf GTi. Is there a VW recall or something that will pay for this to be changed before it fails and costs them more in the long term?

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
No recall mate. Get it changed at an indie for £300-£400, best idea....dont put it off!!!
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline RevDode

• Just got here
Should have joined this forum ages ago! 09 gti, 51k, DSG, full service history. Cam error showed up on 11 July as we were in Wales going on holiday. No prior warnings. Got carried to my local VW dealer who has had it since. Diagnosed cam adjustor failure, resulting in damage to timing chain, tensioner, cam shaft, cylinder head etc.. They want £4600 to put my car into the condition it should be in normally and have offered 'goodwill' of 14% (=10% VW + 4% garage). Any advice? I'm shocked by VW's attitude on this.

Update 29/07/15: I refused Customer Care's offer, pointing out that my mk5 GTI had succumbed to an engine fire at 48k, and their brand is at an abysmal low with me. After reconsidering they came back offering 50%. Suppose I should be grateful....
« Last Edit: 29 July 2015, 21:38 by RevDode »

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
They seem to have stopped contributing as much now mate as they are aware there will be loads more to come.

The best advise i can give you for the future is to google known problems with the certain car you are going to buy, this issue would have popped straight up and you would have saved a few grand.

Hindsight eh?  :undecided: :undecided:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Ozzie826

• Not said much yet
Right after reading peoples comments i take it i should get the car checked before anything happens to the chain ? Ive just bought the car its done 49k miles 09 plate. Whats the solution before i get the problem on the car ? I dont want to end up going to the garage and them making more money of me then they should.

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Does this only effect golfs, or is it an issue on other vw group vehicles? Would an 09ish 2.0 tsi Tiguan or Passat have the same hardware and potential issues? Particular engine codes to look out for?

Build thread clicky