Author Topic: Wheel Refurbing Questions!  (Read 26001 times)

Offline Dec

• I live here
Wheel Refurbing Questions!
« on: 12 October 2010, 23:24 »
Hey guys,

Right, as some may have seen, I got some RS6 rims a few weeks ago that have some pretty gnarly curbing on all of them (:(), but they were a good price, and I needed 4 wheels to put tyres on for my MOT last week.

So basically, I am trying to find out what stuff I need to refurb them! I have been looking at guides etc.. however I am struggling with what products to use, so if anyone can advise, that would be awesome :).

This is what I was thinking:

- Sand Paper: Halfords Project Pack (has various grades of sandpaper, but would 1200 be high enough?

- Halfords Filler Primer 500ml (not sure how many would be needed for 3 coats? on 4 wheels)

- Clear Lacquer 500ml (again, probably more than 1 can...)

Do these bits look ok? Or am I way off mark?, or can anyone recommend anything better? I am stuck for what to use to fill the curbing in though.. Guy in the thread I have linked below used some kind of filler, but then on page 2, someone commented saying Chemical metal is better.. I want something I can lay on and then sand back to get it nice and smooth! Any ideas?

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=187250

I think that the general gist of a refurb is..

- Sand down/paint stripper all old paint/lacquer

- Lay some kind of filler on, wait to dry

- Sand filler down - what grade sand papers?!

- 3 coats of primer, sanding after coat 2 and after coat 3 with DRY 800 grit?

- lay on 3 coats of paint, sanding after coats 2 and 3 again? With 1200 grit WET?

- lay on 3 coats of lacquer

- Leave for at least 24 hours to dry properly

Think thats right? If not could someone advise?

Also seen that its a good idea to heat up the metal a bit with a hairdryer, and also put the spray cans in warm water before using them..

Will I have any problems doing this with tyres fitted? They are stretched a bit so masking them up will be piss easy, just wondered if any part of this process will damage/weaken the tyre, as I dont really want to mess about getting them removed and then put back on again!

Thanks for any additional advice/guidance that can be provided! I will likely give it a go on my old mk2's Steel wheel that I have sat in the shed first, or maybe do my standard audi wheels in a crazy colour to try it out :laugh:

Thanks in advance!

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
  • The black Money PIT - TDi ARG MONSTER! lol
Re: Wheel Refurbing Questions!
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2010, 23:49 »
i would like to know as well doing my TT comps soon as i can get some steelys to run on

Repairs Since 12/09 = £1860.00  *  Follow me on INSTAGRAM = w_all_ace
! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2010, 23:51 »
i would like to know as well doing my TT comps soon as i can get some steelys to run on

Does my post make sense? Im knackered and feel it is a bit of a jumble :tongue: Hopefully someone can give us some tips :)

LL did tell me most stuff and some techniques, just looking for what products people would use!

Offline godsANGER

• I live here
  • The black Money PIT - TDi ARG MONSTER! lol
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2010, 23:56 »

Does my post make sense? Im knackered and feel it is a bit of a jumble :tongue: Hopefully someone can give us some tips :)

LL did tell me most stuff and some techniques, just looking for what products people would use!

makes perfect sense to me but iam special lol from what ive read its sounds about right what you have put

Repairs Since 12/09 = £1860.00  *  Follow me on INSTAGRAM = w_all_ace
! thePOORmansBUILD !

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2010, 00:08 »

makes perfect sense to me but iam special lol from what ive read its sounds about right what you have put

lol good stuff, cheers dude :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2010, 01:00 »

Go to a scrappy and buy the worst piece of sh*t alloy you can and practice on that with the filling, sanding and priming etc

Offline Dec

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2010, 07:54 »
Awesome, thanks dude! So this can deffo be sanded back?

I have an old MK2 Steelie that i'm going to practice on, hopefully that will be suitable! Its only been sat in my shed for about 2/3 years now!

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2010, 14:31 »
Wow you got some balls mate respect to you.

Sounds like a brill little project doing your own wheels.

How long would you have to wait between the coats of primer and spray our of interest?
Just trying to understand how long the whole process would take you.
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2010, 15:12 »
Awesome, thanks dude! So this can deffo be sanded back?

I have an old MK2 Steelie that i'm going to practice on, hopefully that will be suitable! Its only been sat in my shed for about 2/3 years now!
Yes its very easy to use... its like working with plasticine  :smiley: very easy to sand too.  Plenty of other brands that do the same thing.

Offline robz

• I live here
  • mk3's rule, haters gonna hate!
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2010, 16:39 »
glad ya brought this thread/topic up mate, im doing my first wheel refurb and this thread is good!

Believe me its a dead ringer for you! Even says something stupid!