Author Topic: Dead quick tweeter builds  (Read 30185 times)

Offline MR_AJ

• Not said much yet
Re: Dead quick tweeter builds
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2009, 11:04 »
looks good  :grin:

Offline shaolindan

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2010, 13:18 »
Looks great. However I would be concerned with the sound, pointing at each other and reflecting off the windscreen would put them out of phase.
As Godzilla says, directing them at the headrests would be the best bet.

Golf GTi 8v mk2 1990
Coilovers, BBS RA, K&N Induction Kit...

Offline Rav335uk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2010, 22:54 »
Awesome link there. :smiley:

Offline gokila

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2010, 06:29 »
To understand the baffle diffraction plots presented in this section I'll give a quick overview of concept of baffle diffraction and baffle step. Lets assume a baseline condition of a tweeter operating with no baffle at all, not even any flange, just the dome. This characterizes the tweeter as operating in 4pi space or free field. In this scenario the output of the tweeter is allowed to radiate in all directions. Now when a baffle is added to the equation the tweeter is considered to be operating in 2pi space assuming that the baffle is infinitely wide and tall. The output of the tweeter operating in 2pi space will be 6dB greater than that of it operating in 4pi space. This is due to the fact that any soundwaves that would normally travel behind the tweeter are being reflected forward and effectively double the output of the tweeter as a result. When the baffle is of finite size, the distance between the tweeter and the edge of the baffle determines what frequency the tweeter's soundwaves transition from 2pi to 4pi space. In other words, if the wavelength of the tweeter's output is shorter than this distance then those wavelengths are operating in 2pi space. This is because they are short enough to be reflected off of the baffle and thus those frequencies experience a 6dB gain due to the baffle. If the wavelength of the tweeter's output is greater than the distance between the tweeter and the edge of the baffle then those wavelengths (or corresponding frequencies) are operating in 4pi space. These frequencies do not experience a 6dB gain because the soundwaves are effectively "wrapping" around the baffle instead of reflecting forward. In the transition between 2pi and 4pi space near the baffle edge (and corresponding wavelength) a phenomenon known as baffle diffraction occurs. I won't go into the detail of baffle diffraction but there are resources on the net that discuss this topic. Essentially, baffle diffraction causes peaks and dips in the response in the frequency region near the 2pi to 4pi space transition. The plots that I will present below represent how much the tweeter's response will be altered due to baffle diffraction effects relative to a tweeter operating in free-space (otherwise known as 4pi space).

Office Chairs| Chairs

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2010, 10:18 »
If you're going to copy and paste a load of text, keep it relevant, interesting and at least include all of it with the relevant diagrams.
That was just pointless.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2010, 20:57 »
Load of mumbo jumbo if you ask me!
Dome tweeters are meant to be free to air.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2010, 21:16 »
Thats no what its saying.  Its talking about the effects of a baffle or mounting panel has on the tweeters radiated output. It has some valid points but it needs expanding and incar makes things ten times worse.
The loudspeaker cookbook explains it far better.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2010, 21:18 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline reemaada

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2010, 06:07 »
yeah this has given me ideas!

Offline brooke111

• Just got here
« Reply #18 on: 15 December 2010, 07:48 »
Certainly makes it look easy enough. I might have a go on mine at some stage, possibly housing them a little further down the pillar though as the strength of the tweeters in my focals is high enough as it is! Maybe a little trip to the scrappy is in order. :smug: :embarassed: :evil: :evil: :shocked: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

pandora beads
pandora bracelet

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #19 on: 26 December 2010, 13:39 »
They sure look sweet, I need to get a sub for mine I think  :smiley: