Author Topic: Rhyso's Family Wagon - Fire Up The Quattro!  (Read 79887 times)

Offline xtetx

• I live here
  • started as a 1.6 now we here
Re: Rhyso's Family Wagon - Fire Up The Quattro!
« Reply #90 on: 09 November 2016, 14:59 »
Haha nice! part numbers by any chance?  :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #91 on: 09 November 2016, 20:30 »
Haha nice! part numbers by any chance?  :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Either on my old thread or somewhere on Audi Sport  :tongue:

Offline xtetx

• I live here
  • started as a 1.6 now we here
« Reply #92 on: 15 November 2016, 08:35 »
thanks man :)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #93 on: 19 December 2016, 19:27 »
Had a trip up through Mid Wales the other day and got this
%5BURL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Rhyso/media/Audi A6/C161AF2D-5658-42DB-BEB2-35F9A8F6483D_zpsudej9u9n.jpg.html][/URL]

And finally found some time today to remove over 3000 miles worth of grime....

Bit cleaner

In other news the UniRoyals are about to give up after just 12,500 miles :(

Ordered some Michelin PS3's at £200 per corner fitted.......could have gotten them a few quid cheaper but the garage I use always do a great job of balancing the wheels (hide the weights!) and have never damaged a wheel

I just hope they last considerably longer :(

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #94 on: 20 December 2016, 08:01 »
My quattro eats tyres in about 12000 miles so if you find the pirrellis work i might try some. Failing that toyo t1r are being tried next

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #95 on: 20 December 2016, 08:05 »
My quattro eats tyres in about 12000 miles so if you find the pirrellis work i might try some. Failing that toyo t1r are being tried next

I've bought Michelins...... :whistle:  :tongue:

Had Pirelli's many years ago on my MK4 and they were awful!!

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #96 on: 20 December 2016, 12:56 »
 :grin: thats what you get for reading over lightly.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #97 on: 02 January 2017, 16:06 »
Happy New Year to me  :angry:

« Last Edit: 23 August 2017, 15:02 by Rhyso »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #98 on: 23 January 2017, 07:59 »
So today marks a years ownership of the A6  :shocked:

In that time i have

Covered 14,500
Replaced the interior lights for LEDS and the indicator bulbs
Rubber mats all round
Replaced the rear brakes
Had it serviced
Had the wheels refurbed
Started to correct the paintwork
Gone through a set of tyres
Averaged 35mpg....  :lipsrsealed:

Finally had the windscreen replaced (kept getting delayed due to the weather) but they are coming back out today as there is something rattling under the scuttle panel; at least I hope it's under there otherwise I could potentially be looking at stripping the dashboard apart  :undecided:

What has the last 12 months revealed??

Apart from the slight shock of the MPG and burning through a set of tyres the A6 is an astonishing bit of kit. The ride is comfy, even on 19 inch wheels, as it soaks up all the little bumps and potholes that would have had the A3 slipping across the tarmac

The Quattro system is brilliant; it gives you so much grip in all conditions.  Even with snow on the ground it simply dug the tyres in and propelled me up the road. It's important to note here, that no one shoukd take this system for granted. It won't save you from black ice and therefore shoukd be treated with respect. I see far too many people in 4x4's bombing along in poor conditions and then watch as they have a 'moment'  :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:

It even passed its MOT last week
http://vv2u.co/7Ci3N

So the next job is to replaced the front brakes. I'll also whip off the undertray as I suspect (hope) the oil that was found is from an old leak. The car hasn't used a drop of oil since being serviced 4500 miles ago

What's in store for the A6 this year??  An RS6 style front grill is high on my list and also getting the paintwork up to a decent standard

Other than that it's simply a case of using it for what it was designed for; which it does very well and hopefully NOT lose my licence  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #99 on: 23 January 2017, 09:18 »
Things I like:
It's comfortable - the primary and secondary ride is, IMO, very good.  My old A3 on S-Line suspension was bumpy and crashy and tended to skip you across the road.  The A6 simply absorbs all but the harshest of bumps.  It took myself and 3 mates to France without breaking a sweat; all 3 of them fell asleep as I drove!!

DSG - 99% of the time it's awesome.  The shifts are smooth in either full auto or manual mode, allowing you to make comical progress
The 1% when it isn't is mainly when approaching junctions / roundabouts and instead of perhaps holding 3rd gear it drops you into second and makes you look like a learner who is over-revving the engine........

Quattro - as above.  This is my first Quattro driven car and I can't see me having anything but in the future.  I have been seriously impressed by the drive train :)

Engine - I waited about 48 hours before mapping it; it has effortless overtaking ability......perhaps too much as I find myself going for gaps that I wouldn't even have entertained in my A3 which was running over 200bhp.....!

Advanced key:
Being able to simply walk up to the car and open it without having to fumble for a set of keys is great!  My missus isn't too sure as she likes to rip the handle off when she locks the car so keyless would be no good for her lol

Things I don't like:
Start / Stop system - has a mind of it's own.  I'm now wondering if the poor condition of my front discs are to blame for it cutting out early?? 

Lack of dipstick - call me old fashioned but I do like to physically check the oil level myself and not rely on some sensor......

Throttle response in drive mode - even mapped the throttle response is not what I expect of a V6 so I spend 95% of my time in Sport Manual!

That's about it really!  Running costs have been a little higher than expected but then I do remind myself I am running a 280bhp+ 3.0 V6!!