Author Topic: Fault Scan Tool - Leeds  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Fault Scan Tool - Leeds
« on: 07 September 2016, 14:05 »
Anyone advice on a decent tool to purchase, my emissions warning light is on and has been for a week now so feel I should give it a scan. I'm just a but baffled with all the options avail out there!

Alliteratively anyone Leeds based that has one for beer tokens??
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline eug2huge

• Not said much yet
Re: Fault Scan Tool - Leeds
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2016, 14:38 »
I use a dongle off ebay and 'EOBD-Facile' app on my iphone. helps me with fault code information and allows me to delete them.

I had a P2096 code pop up the other day to do with too much air in the mix. I also spoke to a local garage and they said it's probably the MAF sensor tripping due to an air box leak or leak in the exhaust. I did clean the induction kit the day before it came up and can only think i didn't tighten things up properly! Have re-fitted and cleared code..

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2016, 14:51 »
Have you got a link to the one you bought?

Sound I have checked the induction pipes for the last time this happened they had just come loose but nothing noticeable. I could try cleaning the MAF what dies this entail? Just blowing it out?
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline eug2huge

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2016, 15:18 »
Here's a link to the one I bought, just make sure it is compatible with your car and phone.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELM327-WiFi-OBD2-Car-Diagnostics-Scanner-Code-Reader-for-iPhone-iOS-AND-Android-/251760321498?hash=item3a9e15a3da:g:fXsAAOSw2Xf**kX3U

Not too sure about cleaning the MAF sensor, I couldn't really get close to mine so just checked the connection and gave it a highly technical blow..

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2016, 15:41 »
Do mention thou that this tool is only OBD2.
I would go for VCDS, VCP or if it should be a bit cheaper OBD11 or carport. They can do VW specific fault codes and get into other modules and not only generic OBD in engine management.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline eug2huge

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2016, 16:11 »
Ok, you've lost me know. I'm out of my depth..  :smiley:

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2016, 18:46 »
So for anyone reading this decided to buy an OBDeleven, getting really good reviews from other forums and offers the same functionality as VCDS but for £50 so see how it goes.

Also don't need a windows laptop which I don't own so can use on my tablet..

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2016, 19:19 »
OBD11 is good but still early stages, it is nowhere near VCDS or VCP yet.
If you don't want to code often etc it's still a saving thou.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles