Author Topic: Craigwilson - re-shell and VR6 conversion  (Read 20137 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Craigwilson - re-shell and VR6 conversion
« on: 26 May 2015, 12:47 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
Re: Craigwilson - re-shell and VR6 conversion
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2015, 13:21 »
So a few months back a few of you may have seen a restored mk2 golf shell on eBay, well i was the winner of this shell and have started working on it. ill put some pictures up below of what i bought and what i know about the shell.

As you can see the underside is completly undersealed so if this rusts i give up lol

Along with the shell i bought a vr6 donor car! this cost me £300 and has holes in the chassis leg so thats my excuse to break it and use the engine and interior as its very clean :P

Where im at

So far the inside of the shell has been primed and painted in the Bright blue metalic LP5U ;)

The paint being applied to the inside.

After this i started to strip apart my 91 8v :( which sadly has come to an end, i found holes in the floor the sills, the back strut towers are ready to poke through and there is even a crease and a crack on the inside of the driver side piller.

into the new shell went the rear wiring loom from the fusebox back and the central locking pipes (which im struggling to piece back together), the electric window loom is also in (roughly), the headlining was a straight move from one car to another and we managed it without breaking it so the hard part is done. i also welded in the mk3 rear seat brackets in order to mount my mk3 rear bench and those were painted with the inside. te back of the interior is almost built however i do need a tail gate as my current is rusted pretty badly. i will get some current work photos up soon.

the next thing on my list is to get the engine bay painted and get in about the vr6 and get the pedal box removed and fitted in the new car and get ready

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2015, 00:51 »
Got some of the wiring removed, clocks, lights, stalks, mostly the dash area wiring

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2016, 15:20 »
old shell

Offline Craigwilson

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2016, 20:44 »

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2016, 23:00 »
Nice to see someone else doing a full restoration/upgrade build. I'm going down the 1.8T route myself so will be interesting to watch how yours goes compared to mine.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!