Author Topic: Buying advice?  (Read 13049 times)

Offline t_11!

• Just got here
Buying advice?
« on: 03 December 2009, 12:30 »
Hi, Im new to the forum and am very impressed with it already. Im looking to buy a Mk2 8v Gti in the new year. This will be my first Mk2 and Im very mych looking forward to owning one.

I will have £3000 to spend on one and was wondering if this will be enough to get a good runner?

Im aware of a few problems to look for when buying such as rust, 2nd gear crunch and seized rear callipers, what else should i look out for?

Thanks for any advice.

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
Re: Buying advice?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2009, 12:37 »

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline t_11!

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2009, 12:40 »
That buying guide is great, very helpfull, cheers

Is my budget alright to get something half decent?

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2009, 12:47 »
Yes, but be carefull as the prices can often be over inflated. You will need to move VERY fast, as good ones at a fair price go very quickly.

Please check the condition of the shell, including underneath, the engine and box carefully. Perhaps the condition of the rear beam bushes if you can and that the heater blows hot, as these will be expensive either in parts or labour. Most other things can be fixed reasonably easily or inexpensivly.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline Brads MK2 GTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2009, 13:26 »
You'd easily get a good runner for a third of that, perhaps a little less if you're lucky and shop around. As said prices can sometimes be inflated. For £3k you could get a minter. You'll pay more for certain things, like being an oak green (probably rarer on 8v's, up to you whether it's desiarable enough to pay more for), 3 doors normally cost more than 5 doors, again it's what's more desiarable really.

I'd shop around if I was you, and look to get something for around half of that, then spend the rest on a few upgrades or putting things right, and there will always be some things with an older car!

Also remember to budget to do a full service on it when you take the plunge, I always would regardless of it having docs to say it's been done recently. Peace of mind and all that, so you'd be looking at oil & filter, air filter, new dizzy cap and rotor arm, new plugs and leads, maybe coolant change and or brake fluid. I'd always look to do those things with any car I buy.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2009, 13:31 »
If you can, get Mr AA to have once over  :wink:

Arrange this with the seller, if the car is genuine they'll let you and you'll get the AA's seal of approval. If they won't let the AA take a look walk away and look else where.

I'd shop around if I was you, and look to get something for around half of that, then spend the rest on a few upgrades or putting things right, and there will always be some things with an older car!

Some of the best advice you can get.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline t_11!

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2009, 13:42 »
Ok cheers, when i get round to looking at one i may see if someone on the forum who knows their stuff, lives locally and wouldnt mind having a look at it with me or something.

Is getting the lowest mileage as possible important? From what ive seen they seem to range from 85000 - 190000.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2009, 13:52 by t_11! »

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2009, 13:51 »
Where abouts are you?
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline t_11!

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2009, 13:58 »
corsham, wiltshire, near bath/bristol

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2009, 14:06 »
It's well worth the relatively short trip up to Kidderminster to go to http://www.volkscars.com/home/

I bought mine from him. I had figured that I had wasted so much time looking at so called mint private cars, it would acctually cheaper to spend a bit more money with him, but save the expence of even more wasted time and fuel. There is usually the choice of 3-4 original, complete, few owner cars to suit your type of budget.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.