Author Topic: Coming up to doing my first wash - what should I do?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline richbeech

• Not said much yet
Apologies for sounding like an amateur here but I'm new to this detailing business. I've been reading into it quite a bit over the last week or so and have bought new mitts, microfibers and brushes but I'm a bit unsure how to start off.

I'm coming up to doing my first wash and I was just after a bit of guidance as to how much detail I should go into? The car has had the Autoglym Lifeshine treatment and it's not that dirty really, but obviously with it being my new pride and joy I want to keep it in pristine condition. All my products are Autoglym products and I was wondering do I need to wash, dry, polish, seal and wax or could I just get away with a wash and dry. Not that I'm looking to just 'get away' with doing the least amount possible every time I clean my car but the weather is supposed to be pretty crap this weekend and I may only get an hour or so in between showers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rich
MK7 GTD White; DSG; Leather; 19s; Discover Nav

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Coming up to doing my first wash - what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2015, 06:50 »
Hi

Depends how much time and effort (and money) you want to spend on it. 

Lifeshine is meant to be a permanent sealant, supposed to last a few years and reduce the need to add other protectants, and thus save time.  Never had it though so can't comment on it's effectiveness.

However, if you polish or clay the car you will be removing the Lifeshine coating, and would have to reapply it (or an alternative sealant or coating) so think carefully about that.  I imagine that AG Super Resin Polish would do the same, but read the aftercare guidance to be sure.  There's nothing to stop you waxing over the top of it though, maybe with AG High Definition Wax.

As you've got the Lifeshine and are pushed for time, I would start simply and get into a good two bucket washing and drying regime first.  Start with wheels first, using a separate bucket and dedicated mitt or wheel brush.  Then wash rest of car from top down, making sure you rinse the mitt well between panels.  Grit guards are useful to keep grit out of the mitt.   Rinse car well, using an open ended hose for the final rinse.  Avoid washing in direct sunlight, to minimise water marks.  Dry off thoroughly with good microfibre towels.

Once you've got into good practice and have more time, then you can think about going into more depth with waxing etc  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 17 January 2015, 06:54 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline richbeech

• Not said much yet
Re: Coming up to doing my first wash - what should I do?
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2015, 11:37 »
Thanks very much for the reply. I've really picked up some great tips over the last week or so and can't believe how wrongly I've been washing my cars in the past. Thanks again.

MK7 GTD White; DSG; Leather; 19s; Discover Nav