Author Topic: Gti and R testdrive  (Read 28975 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: Gti and R testdrive
« Reply #50 on: 07 December 2018, 20:47 »
I must admit the GTI PP I had from a similar time as your Golf R also had a dodgy gear shift when going up to 3rd from 2nd.  It was as you say gritty/clunky and almost like it didn't want to go in to 3rd gear at times.  I also found I had to force it in to 3rd at times.  But sometimes it was easier than other. Maybe it wasn't just the Golf R's from around 2014 but also the late 2013 GTI's as well, or at least my GTI PP from late 2013? 

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #51 on: 07 December 2018, 21:08 »
I must admit the GTI PP I had from a similar time as your Golf R also had a dodgy gear shift when going up to 3rd from 2nd.  It was as you say gritty/clunky and almost like it didn't want to go in to 3rd gear at times.  I also found I had to force it in to 3rd at times.  But sometimes it was easier than other. Maybe it wasn't just the Golf R's from around 2014 but also the late 2013 GTI's as well, or at least my GTI PP from late 2013?

Every other VW manual (7 of them and a manual Audi A1, most being TDIs) have been silky smooth. I might have the choice to make the other incoming Polo GTI+ a manual (other markets have them to order on the configurator now). It's a dilemma - i'd undoubtedly prefer a smooth manual box than a DSG, but i'd prefer a DSG over the absolute dog of a gearbox like my R has.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #52 on: 08 December 2018, 00:49 »
I'll echo the comments regarding the manual Golf R's absolutely awful gearbox - I've driven lorry's that have smoother boxes. I mentioned it to the salesman during the test drive so he let me go out in another and that was exactly the same, I tried 3 in total and started to look towards the GTi after that.

The manual GTi was really smooth in comparison but still not as good as my MK7 ST200. So from going out to buy a manual Golf R I ended buying a DSG GTi PP.

For me, the best Golf would be a manual Clubsport with all the toys (and 18" Belvedere alloys, of course)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 09 December 2018, 20:13 »
My 2013 GTI PP had a moody gearbox but my 2015 R had a lovely gear change.
Seems to be pot luck! Getting the cables readjusted can make a big difference.
My 2017 ED40 has a nice gear-change too, shame the driver isn’t as competent as the mechanicals!

Having owned a GTI PP, R and Clubsport I have my own opinions on the feel and performance between them all.
The GTI PP is very lithe and flexible, the R has a massive performance advantage from a standing start but little on the roll, the steering isn’t as sharp and the body control feels different, more planted and solid feeling plus I thought the R rode better.
I find the Clubsport has very little actual performance benefit over the PP from a standing start. It’s quick enough and very eager like the R once rolling where the standard GTI felt very linear and a little flat (yet deceptively quick and excellent on fuel).

Which do I prefer?

There was a recent thread about the GTI PP being the perfect car. It is.
However it wouldn’t be my choice.

The ED40 Clubsport has the looks, the sense of occasion and the feel of a great GTI. It’s a really impressive bit of kit.

However the R is the best car. I miss mine.

Having said that, the Clubsport is the most fun and feels a bit special. But that’s just to a dyed in the wool GTI enthusiast, and if it wasn’t a limited run aimed at anoraks like me then I’d take the R keys all day long.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 09 December 2018, 20:55 »
I agree that the face lift R is an improvement over the pre FL.
I'm seeing a fair few more GTI's round my area than I previously did but hardly any PP models.
GTD's are plentiful but then they are a great looking car so what's not to like  :smiley:
Saw my first up! GTI this week and I loved it!
Can't believe @Exonian hasn't already sprung for one  :grin:

Ha! Just seen this! I’m reading the thread from back to front. I’m weird like that.

No! After all my impatience waiting for the up! GTI once it was actually released I went off the boil!
Two reasons, one was after getting all excited about seeing one in the flesh for the first time in mid March when my own GTI went in for service life took a bit of a different direction, enthusiasm and interest in cars dropped to zero and in the end I moved house too scuppering any financial commitments other than necessities.

But mere finances don’t normally hold me back!
My son bought an Ibiza with the same engine and although the engine itself is quite good (probably a lot better with a pedalbox), the gearing is too high for a sports hatch. It has Diesel gearing. But it doesn’t have Diesel torque. I still find the family runabout Cooper D a much more fun car to drive when I’m wearing a mini skirt and stilettos.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 10 December 2018, 10:30 »
I agree that the face lift R is an improvement over the pre FL.
I'm seeing a fair few more GTI's round my area than I previously did but hardly any PP models.
GTD's are plentiful but then they are a great looking car so what's not to like  :smiley:
Saw my first up! GTI this week and I loved it!
Can't believe @Exonian hasn't already sprung for one  :grin:

Ha! Just seen this! I’m reading the thread from back to front. I’m weird like that.

No! After all my impatience waiting for the up! GTI once it was actually released I went off the boil!
Two reasons, one was after getting all excited about seeing one in the flesh for the first time in mid March when my own GTI went in for service life took a bit of a different direction, enthusiasm and interest in cars dropped to zero and in the end I moved house too scuppering any financial commitments other than necessities.

But mere finances don’t normally hold me back!
My son bought an Ibiza with the same engine and although the engine itself is quite good (probably a lot better with a pedalbox), the gearing is too high for a sports hatch. It has Diesel gearing. But it doesn’t have Diesel torque. I still find the family runabout Cooper D a much more fun car to drive when I’m wearing a mini skirt and stilettos.

Tall gearing seems to be the post WLTP way with VW. I would not be surprised to see WLTP compliant Golf's all with tall gearing too.

Lots of talk about it on the Polo forum - people with the 5 speed low output 1.0TSI engines report that it's like VW took a 6 speed box, removed 1st gear and renamed 2nd as 1st, 3rd as 2nd etc. Lots of them reporting stinky clutches when pulling away on the slightest incline.

My Polo GTI+ (not WLTP compliant, but probably prepared for it in all but lack of GPF fitment) has surprisingly tall gearing - 2400rpm in 6th doing 80, my GTD was at 2200rpm in 6th at 80, and the R is doing 3100rpm.

Due to the gearing differences, my R is as economical as my Polo doing urban driving as the Polo's gap between 3rd and 4th makes the R advantageous from 20-35mph when it's in the sweet spot of a higher gear.

On the motorway, the Polo will sit at 80 between Newcastle and York to average 43mpg. Same trip in the R is 34mpg. On my 40 min 13 mile commute though, both will do about 33mpg.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2018, 20:07 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #56 on: 10 December 2018, 13:47 »
Seems like the R is mostly getting a bit of stick here! Well, I'd certainly like drive one at some point as it would be on the list of potential next cars.

Here's a great review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtOZNp6GOxI

There's a M235i mixed in so just watch from 1:15 to 6:20 for road driving. I've watched and loved Chris's reviews since he started and he always has such a technically but interesting way to describe what he's driving.

And for the people who make out that a Mk7 R/GTI is almost un-drivable without a peddle box...

His words - Throttle response is great As he's drive probably ever performance car out there, you'd imagine he would be saying throttle response is like a dead snail or however it's been described on here!!

:smiley:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #57 on: 10 December 2018, 14:20 »
Seems like the R is mostly getting a bit of stick here! Well, I'd certainly like drive one at some point as it would be on the list of potential next cars.

That video is 4 years old!! Imagine what the F/L 310 7 speed is like, how much f fun does one need. It's a steal, chaps if you can get one :wink:
This is the reason why -  Here's a great F/L GTI & R review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfxc5Tmj1w
« Last Edit: 10 December 2018, 14:22 by CHB100 »
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #58 on: 10 December 2018, 14:31 »

That video is 4 years old!! Imagine what the F/L 310 7 speed is like, how much f fun does one need. It's a steal, chaps if you can get one :wink:
This is the reason why -  Here's a great F/L GTI & R review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfxc5Tmj1w

I know it's an old video but still a great review of why the R exists and what it offers over and above the GTI  :smiley:

Watched that one before, it's a good one!
« Last Edit: 10 December 2018, 14:35 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Shandy77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #59 on: 10 December 2018, 16:23 »
As has been said many times before, it comes down to personal preference.

At the time I took the plunge with my mk7 GTi (PP), I preferred the look of the GTI over the R and (at the time) the PCP deals had swung back in the favour of the GTi (for me anyway). I opted for a fully loaded GTi, over a partially loaded R.

However, I have since embarked on a series of upgrades and self proclaimed the mk7 GTi as the perfect car - sure perfect after an ABT power module, Milltek exhaust, 12mm spacers and new tyres.

It's all personal preference and I would consider a 7.5 R if I can bring myself to part with my GTi when the finance ends towards the end of next year - hopefully they will start heavily discounting the finance deals as the mk8 draws near.