Author Topic: 16v Cambelt Change  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Peter Sarbutt

• Just got here
16v Cambelt Change
« on: 01 December 2009, 17:44 »
Hi All,

After owning a mk3 gti a few years ago, I recently bought another!).

I've had a good search on previous topics, but can't find answer to my question.

The car I bought is overdue a cambelt, which I am going to do myself. However when looking through the haynes manual, I notice that a special tool needs to be used for tensioning the belt, instead of the usual twist thru 90 degrees.

Can anyone tell me whether, in practise this is really required, can I just use the usual test for belt tension?

Cheers

Pete

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
Re: 16v Cambelt Change
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2009, 18:33 »
I would use the normal method, never had a problem.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline Paul86S2

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2009, 18:46 »
It depends on whether you have the old style or new style tensioner. The new stle you line the marks up on the tensioner and the tension is set.
If you have to old style you need to set the tension manualy. For the 16v you need to set the tension for 45 degrees of twist and not 90 degrees.

Paul

Offline Sirminty

• Not said much yet
  • '96 16v GTI, on the lonely south coast
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2009, 06:00 »
I've been looking into doing my cambelt ('96 16v), is it a hard process that someone with average skills can do or should i drop her into the garage??
any pointers would be great

miky

Offline Peter Sarbutt

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2009, 18:48 »
Paul / Audi A8 - Many thanks for the advice - I'll check which style of tensioner I have, but from what you tell me, the special tool is not required.

Miky - I'll let you know how I have got on.

Cheers

Pete