Author Topic: Help!! mk2 or mk3?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline joeyrich

• Just got here
Help!! mk2 or mk3?
« on: 12 February 2005, 13:14 »
help! can someone please give me some buying advice? I'm looking at buying a car that i will be sharing with my dad, and we have both agreed on a golf, but we seem to disagree on which golf to buy!! i think that the Mk2 looks a much better car, but my dad always says that the Mk3 is a newer model etc. would be very grateful for any advice!

Offline sill-skimmin'

• Not said much yet
  • Yes, it does catch. On everything.
Re: Help!! mk2 or mk3?
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2005, 17:22 »
dude, are you goin for a GTI or other model?

If you are havin a gti then most would say go for the mk2.

If you are goin for practicality, your dad has a fair point about newness and possibly reliability as well...

I've got a mk2 8v gti and I freakin' love it!!!

Each to their own tho...

1987 Mk2 GTi 8v. Full strip out. LUKE harnesses. Drilled Airbox. 14" BBS. Slammed on Coilovers.? Plastic arches fell off. Side of splitter hanging. Weight reduction by 'Rust Motorsport'

mrwotto

« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2005, 18:07 »
MK3 16v all the way for me :grin:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2005, 20:36 »
You want a mk2 and your dad wants a mk3 ! Read that sentence back to yourself and think about it !  :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though it depends what you want, yes mk2s are older but were considered to be the best Golf GTi by most, mk3s were more "comfortable" but they started around the time that insurance was high on "hot hatches" and with this in mind were never actually considered very hot (apart from 16v or vr6 before anyone starts  :wink:), in my opinion get a well looked after mk2 unless you can find a 16v or vr6 mk3, take them all for a test drive and see what you think.  :smiley: The only advice on here will be get a mk2 from mk2 owners and get a mk3 from mk3 owners so dont listen to me, I drive a hairdressers car.  :wink: :wink: :laugh: :laugh:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Overseer

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2005, 22:36 »
Used to have a '97 MK3 16v GTI 3dr in 'Black Magic'... now have a '55 Civic Type-S...

Dinky

« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2005, 18:32 »
Welcome to the forum

Dinx :kiss:

Offline BOGGLE

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2005, 17:00 »
Welcome

You're both right in what you say but i would agree with a well looked after late mk2!!

Before....During.....After