Author Topic: pedestrian avoidance  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
Re: pedestrian avoidance
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2018, 18:38 »
This sort of technology goes against nature.  Let Darwinism run its course.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2018, 14:52 »
This sort of technology goes against nature.  Let Darwinism run its course.

I'd agree but only if I was guaranteed not to be the one mowing down the undesirables. My car has had far too much respraying already :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline John F

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2018, 12:04 »
Both my cars have this feature; a 16 plate Audi A4 (being replaced by a Golf GTI PP DSG next month!!), and a 17 plate VW Touran.

My Audi gets caught out by sudden changes in the slope on roads, causing the brakes to cut in briefly. Sometimes this just happens with no audible warning. The car also bleeps at me if I approach a bend where a car might be parked on a side road. It thinks I am heading for the parked car, beeps, and then cancels the warning as I follow the curve of the road and the parked car disappears from sight.

However, I have had one really scary experience. Driving on a country road, I rounded a corner where there is a lay-by on the left. A coach was parked in the lay-by, and my A4 clearly thought it was a solid wall or something. The car pinged, I kept on driving as I had no intention of crashing into a bus parked off the side of the road in a lay-by. However, I think the radar continued to sweep along the side of the large coach as I was rounding the bend. This convinced the car that I was asleep at the wheel and destined to crash, so it applied a full emergency stop.

There was nothing I could do. I stayed in my lane on the road, with the bus entirely off the road in the lay-by to my left. The car screeched to a halt, and thankfully the woman behind me was far enough back to stop without rear-ending me.

Lord knows what the drivers behind thought! The bus driver was out in front of the bus, stood in the lay-by. He looked at me like I was deranged.

I took it to my Audi dealer, and they applied a software patch to the AEB system. It still pings, and snatches at the brakes from time to time. But, thankfully, no full emergency stops since.

I have only had one pedestrian step out in front of me. The car snatched at the brakes for a moment, then the pedestrian jumped back onto to the pavement.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2018, 12:37 »
Yeah I had numerous false alarms on my old 14 plate GTD. A couple that resulted in full emergency braking - not quite sure how I didn't get rear ended in any of those. Certainly caused a lot of arm waving and shouting by people behind me... who as well experienced drivers are looking beyond me to look for possible reasons for me taking evasive action... and not seeing any.

Touch wood, the 7.5 seems to have improved on the system a bit and so far in almost a year and 20k I've not had any of those full brake situations.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC