Author Topic: Rust/Painting  (Read 62711 times)

Offline GuessWho

• Not said much yet
Re: Rust/Painting
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2010, 22:22 »
I also see no reason to flat between coats of primer providing the coats haven't been allowed ot dry and harden between coats.

Offline lfcscott

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 gti 2.0 8v
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2010, 04:20 »
hi
   my front wing looks like has been can sprayed by the previous owner & the front end of the bonnet is patchy where again it looks like he finely sprayed it with a can(t***) will a cutting compound get rid of the slight run on the wing?? & if i also use a finishing liquid will this give me a good finish?? or is it a case of total respray for these two panels??? can you help?? :undecided:

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 30 June 2010, 23:18 »
Hey, i just got a mk3 to do up, its white and has some stencils painted on it and a couple of rust spots  :rolleyes:

i know the basics to spraying over these, but i only have grey primer, is this ok to use under white paint or do i need to use a different colour primer?

thanks

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #23 on: 19 January 2011, 13:01 »
I need to do rust repairing on my Golf in a few areas, do I have to use a grinder/sander? Can I not just use sanding sheets and do it by hand?

Offline RyanVW

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2011, 13:49 »
I need to do rust repairing on my Golf in a few areas, do I have to use a grinder/sander? Can I not just use sanding sheets and do it by hand?

i was just about to ask this... not got much access to any power tools

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2011, 13:52 »

i was just about to ask this... not got much access to any power tools

I've been reading up on it and another thing that might be useful is a wire brush (heavy duty if needed). I'm not fussed about 'damaging' the surrounding paintwork as I will be sanding it all down when it comes to satin painting it. Just want to get most, if not all of the visible rust gone.

nige_s

« Reply #26 on: 19 January 2011, 13:58 »
Black & Decker Powerfile is your friend, I wouldn't be without mine.  Buy the belts of Ebay for cheapness and it gets into the tightest of spaces.

« Last Edit: 19 January 2011, 14:00 by nige_s »

Offline Lukenukem

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 19 March 2012, 23:12 »
Just a quick few comments upon spray jobs

A chap on here already mentioned heating up the panel prior spraying with a hair dryer ( you could buy an industrial one as this won't overheat like your misses will if you break her hair dryer before a big night out ).
He also mentioned to use hot water to heat your can up prior to use - Tip on top of this: keep the can immersed in the hot water especially when near the end of the contents as this will give more energy to the contents inside giving a better spray and retard the presence of droplets that will sit out of an near empty can ( think of the Brownian motion experiment at school science class - the more heat you use the more random the gas shoots about - Warning though direct heat will be extremely hazardous as your using solvent which are flammable hence hot water being used only!!)

Top tip - pay attention to the style of the nozzle, many cheap versions will not only spit paint out unevenly but will paint your fingers in the process (careful where you put these painted nails!) If you can get hold of the wider styles nozzles almost like a mini air horn, your fingers are well behind the nozzle and the spread spray throughout is a hell of a lot better than your average Halfrauds stock.

Thanks for your time . . .

Offline GolfDriverUk

• Just got here
« Reply #28 on: 14 May 2016, 13:17 »
I am looking to repair some rust patches close to my wheel arches and side skirts. I am pondering whether to do the job myself.  I noticed this company sell D.I.Y scratch repair kits with their touch up paint. [url]https://www.mpexdirect.com[url] I have never painted a car before if you opt for the brush does it leave a good finish? It's just small specs of rust patches that I need to remove

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #29 on: 14 May 2016, 19:47 »
Brush in my experience leaves marks