Author Topic: 18'' to 19''  (Read 554 times)

Offline JamieGTiwhy

• Just got here
18'' to 19''
« on: 31 January 2024, 10:47 »
Hi, well i've joined.... I have read a few of the threads and found it useful so I thought i would give it a try. Please feel free to tell me to shut up if i'm posting in the wrong place , or in general just speaking rubbish.

I have a dilemma. I have a new Golf GTi being delivered in 2 weeks. It was a stock deal and I was unfortunately unable to select option like wheels. That means i have the stock 18'' Richmond alloys instead of the 19'' Adelaides i was hoping for. I have read discussions previously on here about if it is not possible to swap and if the suspension is different between wheel options (I believe so far it is). I just wondered if anyone had actually made the swap successfully (without any suspension mods). I just want to keep the car stock apart from the 19''s.

Any help much appreciated and thanks for let me join :)

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: 18'' to 19''
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2024, 11:17 »
It’s only wheels no suspension modifications needed

Offline JamieGTiwhy

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2024, 11:20 »

Just the little front wing 'winglets' to sort as with the wheels. A relief it doesn't interfere with suspension

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2024, 18:47 »
Welcome Jamie  :smiley: and congrats on the new car.

I’ve no idea what the suspension changes are between 18” and 19” factory specced wheels, it could be anything from minor damper or spring rates, different bump stops or next to nothing.
However I did exactly that, bought an in stock car in 2020 with 18” Richmonds then changed them for (aftermarket) 19’s and happily ran it for three years with no issues.

In some respects it’s a good thing as you get to choose any design of wheel you like and brand of tyre as the factory Bridgestones are pretty hard riding.

I’d not bother with the winglets, they’re ugly, unnecessary and collect dirt.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JamieGTiwhy

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2024, 19:09 »
Exonian thanks so much. Gives me a bit or reassurance that I’m not going to knacker the suspension.

Glad it worked well for you. Last question I promise… did you have to change the bolts as well.

Thanks again, appreciated

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2024, 19:18 »
Nothing as extreme as knackering the suspension thankfully! All was fine in my experience and the Michelins were more refined than the Bridgestones.

If you’re using genuine VW wheels then you’ll not need to swap the bolts.
Some/many aftermarket wheels will require different bolts though, sometimes longer bolts will be needed and also they might have a different seating (rounded to tapered etc)
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JamieGTiwhy

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2024, 06:11 »
Exonian, brilliant. Thanks very much