Author Topic: tyres  (Read 3942 times)

Offline mossy1969

• GTI forum regular
tyres
« on: 24 January 2019, 06:47 »
hi I need 2 new front tyres on my gtd ive got goodyear asermetrics on at yhe moment just wondering what you guys have on and whats the best

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: tyres
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2019, 07:54 »
PS4

Close the the thread, the definitive answer has been given :D
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2019, 08:11 »
PS4

Close the the thread, the definitive answer has been given :D

Not quite.... :tongue:

Michelin PS4S on my R but that’s on 19”wheels as are only available in 19s.  Formerly was on Conti 5Ps which are very good but PS4S are superior on all levels - wet/dry grip, impact absorption, reduced noise etc. 

If I were on 18s I’d go PS4. 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2019, 10:12 »
I'm actually with you on the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric - I'm on 19's and they're great.

While I'd agree Michelin PS4 et al are incredibly good, ultimate grip is not the only thing I look for in a tyre. Cost, longevity and many other factors come into play and my "best of all worlds" choice was the Goodyear.

Not slating any tyres (except ditch finders, they're just plain dangerous), just my choice.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2019, 10:32 »
I had 18" Goodyears on my last GTD.... better than the OEM BS's, not quite as good as the PS3's I had too. PS4's are better than the PS3's.

Wear wise, both the GY's and the PS's were about the same - slightly less mileage than the super hard BS's but not shocking.

The only one's I've encountered that have significantly less wear were the Conti SC 5's. They are a good tyre, but the cost and mileage make them very expensive.

Both the GY's and the PS's were much quieter than the BS's, which when you do a lot of motorway driving like I do, it is definitely a bonus.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2019, 12:20 »
Both the GY's and the PS's were much quieter than the BS's, which when you do a lot of motorway driving like I do, it is definitely a bonus.

I found the PS4 just as noisy as the Bridgestones. My winter tyres are considerably quieter.

Yes, the PS4 tyres have good grip, but I would not buy them again because of the noise.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2019, 14:10 »
PS4

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2019, 17:45 »
I'd be tempted by GY Asymmetric 3's if I need to buy any tyres before mine goes back.

They're a little cheaper than the PS4's and don't seem to have the noise issues some have reported with the Michelin's.
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2019, 18:08 »
I'm not really enjoying the PS4's I've got on that replaced the BS's. I definitely wouldn't buy them again at the moment but might update my opinion once this egg shaped one is replaced on Saturday  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #9 on: 25 January 2019, 08:06 »
Rainsport 3