Author Topic: Timing belt kit worth buying?  (Read 4408 times)

Ragingredbull

Timing belt kit worth buying?
« on: 21 September 2017, 19:13 »
I recently bought my 01 mk4 and whilst in the engine bay replacing the coolant sensor noticed a couple of cracked pipes which I bought and am changing over the weekend.
I then noticed that the timing/cam belt is showing some age in that it's is showing tiny cracks on the belt. I googled and found a kit for £220 with the following items
Kit includes the following parts:

Timing belt
Tensioner Roller
Tensioner assembly
Idler roller (comes on the tensioner assembly)
Water pump with metal impeller
Accessory drive belt
Thermostat
Thermostat Housing
Motor mount bolts (7)
Camshaft seal
Crankshaft seal

As the car is 16 years old do you think the above kit is a sound investment. It can be found at
https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-car/audi/a3-8l/ecs-tuning-ultimate-timing-belt-kit-1-8t-150-180-225/

Also, what would be a fair cost for labour for it. Thanks in advance

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: Timing belt kit worth buying?
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2017, 08:38 »
Which engine is it?  Are you sure you were looking at the timing belt and not the auxiliary belt?

In any case, it's always a sensible idea to change the timing belt on a car that you've just bought unless you have solid history to prove it's been done relatively recently.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Ragingredbull

« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2017, 10:14 »
My apologies. I have a 01 GTi AUM 150bhp k03s 96,000 miles, 3 door. The car has been serviced every couple of years as it did only 2000 miles a year for the last 4 or 5 years. It has had 2 belt changes but the last was at 60k(more than 5 years ago). I saw cracking on both belts so figured to change both at the same time. I also need to change the Thermostat as I had a fault code which pointed to that and/or the sendor(replaced this one myself). I have read that it is good to change the water pump when doing the belt. I would assume that changing all the other items would be a good idea due to the age of the car, but is it necessary? Any idea how long it would take to replace all the items by a mechanic? I have a mate who has mechanic friends who can do it in their spare time, but I just wanted to see how long it would take so I can judge a rough cost.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2017, 10:26 »
For what it's worth, I would be getting those belts changed as a matter of priority...may as well get everything else done at the same time. I did mine when I purchased the car, even though it came with a great service history, simply because it gives me peace of mind. Whole job took them about five hours, without rushing and was pretty reasonable, pricewise. Different country, so no use in me posting what I paid.

All the work and parts are covered by warranty.

My two bobs worth.    :smiley:
« Last Edit: 22 September 2017, 16:09 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2017, 11:09 »
Buy the timing belt kit from gsf they have a 56% off code right now that brings the cost down to 83.95 code is wkd56 and you don't need to change crankshaft seal or camshaft seal unless they are leaking  :smiley: and my mate can do a timing belt kit fitted in an hour book says two and a bit
« Last Edit: 22 September 2017, 11:13 by barrym381 »

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2017, 16:03 »
That seems like a pretty good price...certainly worth thinking about.

Just for clarity, the job done on mine (mentioned above) was for the both belts, waterpump, tensioner and pulley plus odd bits and bobs needed, including new coolant.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Ragingredbull

« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2017, 14:48 »
Thanks for all the messages. I appreciate your time. I think i am still leaning towards the full kit just for the peace of mind. Don't want to spend any more time down that section of the car if I don't have to. Pay a little extra to get it all done at once.

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2017, 17:21 »
The peace of mind will make it worth it...less things to worry about.

:wink:
« Last Edit: 23 September 2017, 17:23 by bgbazz »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2017, 20:43 »
Thanks for all the messages. I appreciate your time. I think i am still leaning towards the full kit just for the peace of mind. Don't want to spend any more time down that section of the car if I don't have to. Pay a little extra to get it all done at once.
You will need extra bits if your doing cam shaft seal and crankshaft seal both of them are not required unless they are leaking  :smiley:

Ragingredbull

« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2017, 18:26 »
Thanks all for the messages. Went with stealers kit in the end with the aux belt, and also bought a new set of breather pipes and a new second hand turbo to intercooler pipe and had those fitted over the weekend. Got the car back today, was told the engine sounds excellent by mechanic mate. Whilst talking to him noticed that the suspension  was an inch or so above the mounts in the front both sides. I suppose it is a good excuse for some coilovers as I just bought some 18" Audi reps for the car. Appreciate the help from everyone.