Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529319 times)

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1800 on: 19 June 2018, 23:36 »
I spent a few hours on my GTI this afternoon..

Started off with the wheels, used "Williams" wheel cleaner ( just had it in the shed).

I used Farecla Body Prep shampoo to get of all the previous wax off.

Then I tried Autoglym Magma iron remover. It seemed to work, noticed a few black marks here and there, and it smelt nice..

I washed again with the Body Prep shampoo after that.

Then I used Poor Boys Natty Red Wax, which smelt even better, and was lovely to use.

Finally, dressed tyres with Meguires Endurance tyre gel, oh and Autoglym Glass Polish on the windows :)

Looking back, I've learned not to skip on the Tar Remover stage, and I've decided that I want to buy a Blower :)

Sorry the pics arn't very good, I run out of sun..

« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 23:38 by Jeff Wood »
2018 Golf GTI. 3 Door. DSG. Tornado Red.
Eibach Pro Kit. OZ Hyper GT HLT Wheels. (18x8, ET50).
Forge 11mm spacers on rear wheels. 5mm on fronts.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #1801 on: 19 June 2018, 23:47 »
You've done a cracking job! I'm really starting to like Tornado Red :evil:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1802 on: 20 June 2018, 08:02 »
I spent a few hours on my GTI this afternoon..

Started off with the wheels, used "Williams" wheel cleaner ( just had it in the shed).

I used Farecla Body Prep shampoo to get of all the previous wax off.

Then I tried Autoglym Magma iron remover. It seemed to work, noticed a few black marks here and there, and it smelt nice..

I washed again with the Body Prep shampoo after that.

Then I used Poor Boys Natty Red Wax, which smelt even better, and was lovely to use.

Finally, dressed tyres with Meguires Endurance tyre gel, oh and Autoglym Glass Polish on the windows :)

Looking back, I've learned not to skip on the Tar Remover stage, and I've decided that I want to buy a Blower :)

Sorry the pics arn't very good, I run out of sun..

Great job!  Looks stunning.  :cool:  The red really popping, even if the sun didn’t want to play.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1803 on: 20 June 2018, 10:15 »
Thanks  :grin:

Was funny when someone walked past and suggested that I go to Dobbies as they do "all that" for £5,

Still makes a change from "you've missed a bit", or "can you mine later"

:grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1804 on: 20 June 2018, 14:24 »
Looks great Jeff, lovely job. The wheels and ride height look spot on :smiley: How did the paint feel after decontamination, any need for claying?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1805 on: 20 June 2018, 15:10 »
Great job Jeff, I like that body/wheels colour combo, v nice  :wink:

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1806 on: 20 June 2018, 21:55 »
Bit hard to tell if it needs claying or not, dont think it does tbh, the paint feels really smooth.

Thanks for the nice comments, I think that wheel colour (Graphite) goes well with TR, I think it would go nice with White too.

And today, I've bought a Side Kick blaster, mainly for those annoying areas around the tailgate and door handle & fuel filler cap.
s
Saw one on ebay that a guy was selling, it said hardly used, got it for £65,

And I've also bought a Snow Foam Lance, one that fits my Challenge Xtreme pressure washer.

I did already have one for another pressure washer that I have, a karcher K2, but that recently died.

It's funny, the Challenge Xtreme was cheap, had if for years, works much better than the Karcher, far more powerful, and it just keeps working :)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1807 on: 20 June 2018, 23:39 »
Looks great Jeff. Love the colour of the wheels, but then I’m biased as I’ve got s thing about graphite / anthracite coloured alloys :cool:

And today, I've bought a Side Kick blaster, mainly for those annoying areas around the tailgate and door handle & fuel filler cap.

Saw one on ebay that a guy was selling, it said hardly used, got it for £65,

The Side Kick Blaster’s a great little piece of kit. I have one and with a well protected car, with a little practice and using the long nozzle I’ve found it’s possible to pretty much dry my whole car - after the final stage in the washing process (rinse with an open ended hose to ‘sheet’ the water off the car), you can chase any remaining water beads away with the long thin nozzle fitted to the Side Kick. As well as the water traps you’ve mentioned, it’s also great for getting the trapped water out of the door mirror housings, around the wheel bolts / wheel bolt covers and from under the rubber strips along the doors, just below the windows.

I do find it is quite noisy and painful on the ears when you direct the Side Kick at some of the water traps - especially around the door mirror housings and wheel bolt recesses, so you might want to consider getting a few sets of foam ear plugs. I find they really help.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jeff Wood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #1808 on: 20 June 2018, 23:44 »
thanks for the advice :)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1809 on: 03 July 2018, 12:53 »
Grabbed an opportunity to get a maintenance wash done as it's been far too hot recently but there was a smidgen of cloud and a cool breeze this morning. The car was mostly just very dusty but unfortunately while I was away recently it was attacked by our feathered friends and due to the heat the remnants were baked on long before I got to it so I left as is expecting the damage to be done. And it was. Tried a hand polish on the stains but they won't budge :angry: Went around the whole car and removed some tar spots but in doing so discovered a fair few paint defects likely down to the various resprays it's had that weren't quite as good as they first looked. They are very small and very difficult to spot but no less annoying :sad:

Trying not to wind myself up too much about it all, I've got a couple of weeks off in September and whilst my OH believes I'm going to be sorting the garden, I think I'll be tackling as many of these issues as I can with a shiny new DA (not purchased yet but I will, honest).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.