Author Topic: Which ceramic coating?  (Read 3428 times)

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
Which ceramic coating?
« on: 06 January 2019, 14:55 »
Hi All

I’m tempted to put a ceramic coating on my reflex silver Clubsport. I just don’t get the time for regular waxing and want something longer lasting without the regular topups.

Question is which product? I’ve been looking at the cquartz uk edition kit which looks good but what else am I missing? The car is garaged so keeping it dry for a day or two afterwards isn’t an issue. I’m planning on doing it myself rather than using a pro.

Advice??

Thanks
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Which ceramic coating?
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2019, 16:52 »
Although I realise this is not what you asked for but some sealants/waxes can be very long lasting, cheap and very easy to apply. I use FinishKare 1000P Hi Temp Sealant https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/finishkare-1000p-hi-temp-sealant#page=1&top=38& and can thoroughly recommend it. It lasts really well, two coats twice a year is more than enough and it is still beading well when I do top it up. It's extremely quick and easy to apply plus easy to buff off. £18 for a tub which will last years. Recently I've added the same brand's Pink Wax which gives a lovely gloss, same money and also easy to use but not essential. I'm not familiar with ceramic coatings but from what I understand they aren't as easy to apply and will be a lot more expensive.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2019, 11:28 »
I just applied the Auto Finesse paintwork ceramic yesterday. It was relatively easy to apply: initial wipe down with the solution provided, then apply the ceramic coating to one panel at a time and buff off after 2 -5 minutes. The coating comes in the form of wipes which is handy as you don't need to measure anything out. You also get 8 ceramic wipes of which I used 4, so I could get another car coated as well. The only thing is that it has to cure inside for at least 6 hours after application, so you ideally need a garage. The finish seems to be very good and longevity is meant to be somewhere around 12 months, but time will tell.
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 January 2019, 11:50 »
I will be interested to see how the AF Caramics lasts. Reviews I read suggest its doesn't last a month...   :shocked:

For ease of use, I would highly recommend Polish Angel Master Sealant which is hybrid ceramic sealant. Couldn't be easier to apply and very easy to buff with no issue of residue. Can get it from Ultimate Finish.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2019, 20:13 »
I will be interested to see how the AF Caramics lasts. Reviews I read suggest its doesn't last a month...   :shocked:

For ease of use, I would highly recommend Polish Angel Master Sealant which is hybrid ceramic sealant. Couldn't be easier to apply and very easy to buff with no issue of residue. Can get it from Ultimate Finish.
:sick:

Thanks all.

I’ve read the same of the Caramics kit. Tempted by Gyeon Mohs at the moment...

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2019, 10:24 »
OP - it sounds like you want what I also require. To make the car easy/simple/quick to wash, and keep it looking A1 for the best possible amount for time.

I know you said you want to do it yourself, but for only a couple of hundred quid more (than it'll cost you to buy the products yourself), have you considered getting it done by a professional detailer who also has access to superior products that you can't buy off the shelf?

Mine goes in tomorrow for a 'new car' detail by somebody who uses Kamikaze products, he is Kamikaze approved & accredited.

Following a prep to get rid of any swirls or imperfections, the paint gets a coating Kamikaze Zipang, then he will apply a coat of Kamikaze Miyabi for ultra gloss & durability. This dual process (using products only available Kamikaze accredited detailers) also creates a 'self-healing' finish. He uses Miyabi on all the exterior trims and engine bay plastics. Kamikaze Intenso will be applied to all the glass. Wheels are removed and Kamikaze Stance will be used on the wheels, callipers and exhausts. Inside he uses other products from Dr Leather, Aerospace and Gtechniq.

All of that comes with a 2-3yr guarantee. His rates are VERY reasonable (significantly cheaper than I was expecting or quoted elsewhere!) and he has an excellent reputation across the forums. He regularly does Golfs, Seats etc, but also works on other exotics

I see you're in West Sussex, which isn't too far from where he is (South London/Surrey), so if you want me to put you in touch drop me a message. :smiley:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2019, 20:28 »
Hi thanks for that - will drop you a pm.