Author Topic: Wax or Polish??  (Read 5575 times)

Offline GOLF-MK3-GTI

• I live here
Wax or Polish??
« on: 01 March 2013, 14:29 »
As above which is better and is long lasting. Also does polish make your paint dull if you use it all the time?

Thanks

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Wax or Polish??
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2013, 15:18 »
In short, both! they're completely different products mate, both with there own job, polish is for making the surface as good as it can be before being protected by a wax.
You wouldn't need to polish all the time, if done properly and your protective coat is looked after maybe twice a year depending on use.

Although there is so much more to getting the perfect finish! :evil:

If you look at this thread:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=249282.0

The pictures where all the swirl marks are being removed is done using a polish or compound, then the shots at the bottom are when it's been all sealed and waxed. :wink:

Loads of useful info in here mate:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?board=78.0

Have fun! :cool:
« Last Edit: 01 March 2013, 15:24 by Jimble »
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline Ginge 35Edition

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2013, 17:58 »
+1 what he said

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 March 2013, 20:59 »
Wax is a product that you would go over the car after it has been polished. Say you used the likes of Lime Prime from Dodo Juice to polish your car, It contains some fillers plus other bits so over a few weeks these will be washed/were off leaving your paint open to elements making it shine less and get covered in fall out.  If you where to wax over the top after you have polished your adding a thin lair of protection to the paint meaning the shine will last longer and the paint is protected.

You can also use a sealant like (Supernatural Hybrid Paste Sealant) instead of a wax these tend to be man made and will offer a longer period of protection but have a little bit less of a shine.

And just to confuse you even more you can add a glaze like Poorboys Black Hole after you polish this will add to the shine and fill in light swirls but you must still wax over it.

It wont dull your paint but remember a polish contains micro abrasives so doing it all the time wont be good for your paint plus there is always the risks of adding more swirls.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 March 2013, 23:27 »
Wax is a product that you would go over the car after it has been polished. Say you used the likes of Lime Prime from Dodo Juice to polish your car, It contains some fillers plus other bits so over a few weeks these will be washed/were off leaving your paint open to elements making it shine less and get covered in fall out.  If you where to wax over the top after you have polished your adding a thin lair of protection to the paint meaning the shine will last longer and the paint is protected.

You can also use a sealant like (Supernatural Hybrid Paste Sealant) instead of a wax these tend to be man made and will offer a longer period of protection but have a little bit less of a shine.

And just to confuse you even more you can add a glaze like Poorboys Black Hole after you polish this will add to the shine and fill in light swirls but you must still wax over it.

It wont dull your paint but remember a polish contains micro abrasives so doing it all the time wont be good for your paint plus there is always the risks of adding more swirls.

I use both of these products, they are both fantastic and come recommended!!
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2013, 18:39 »
DJ lime prime is ace, SNH is also wickeddd  :cool:

+1 for above!

Offline rio_gti

• I live here
  • "i'm not spending any money on it" Got a Hybrid!
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2013, 00:33 »
Interesting read  :smiley:

So what's recommended for black cars then??

It's about time I seals and waxed instead of just a polish  :embarrassed:

2000 GTI 1.8t ARZ, S2000 filter, DSG intake, Forge 007 dv, Catch can, R-tech custom remap, 3" Supersize Silicone TIP, Powerflex dog bone, 'The Beast' FMIC, Ultimate delete, LCR fuel pump, 3" Turbo back, K03 hybrid, Ported Manifold, S3 injectors, 80mm maf = 280bhp 270lbft :evil:

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2013, 06:45 »
A sealant and a wax is more or less the same thing. A glaze is different.

Polish your car, glaze it then wax or seal it.

You can go wrong with the products I talked about above.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2013, 13:15 »
A sealant and a wax is more or less the same thing. A glaze is different.

Polish your car, glaze it then wax or seal it.

You can go wrong with the products I talked about above.

I think it was supposed to say "cant"  :laugh:
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2013, 13:18 »
Yea can't go wrong. Was still half asleep this morning