Author Topic: Replacement for SRP and EGP, perhaps one for Guy !  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
Re: Replacement for SRP and EGP, perhaps one for Guy !
« Reply #10 on: 08 November 2010, 15:16 »
I havent considered Lime prime/light, is it effective by hand ? (Sorry should have mentioned that for now this will all be done by hand  :embarassed:)  I'm guessing I would use LP in the same way as SRP. I've had a look at a few of the suggested products and among others I've had a look at Poorboys EX - P sealant (I'm guessing this would this go well over black hole ?) and Jetseal 109 (is it worth the extra money ?), can anyone offer an opinion on these and would it fit into my current  Polish - Seal - Wax routine, something like Black hole - EX-P sealant - Wax ?

Thanks agian for the comments so far, food for thought  :smiley:
@tg1 blackhole is a glaze not a sealant.

@uruk
lime prime is effective by hand but it all depends on your polishing technique, ive had ex-p in the past and its a good product but not as durable as 109,109 is worth the dosh all day long or you could consider the more expensive sealants like cquartz or gtechniq but these are very fiddly products and dont allow much room for error. either product will fit into your current routine.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2010, 15:19 by Purple Haze »
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 08 November 2010, 15:16 »
O.K thanks for that. I think I'm beginning to confuse myself now  :laugh:  :rolleyes:

Perhaps the best bet is if someone suggests a good "Polish - Sealer" combination that will accept a wax over the top.

From the Polish I want filling and shine, from the sealer I want very good durability and depth of shine if possible, obviously the easier/quicker to use the better.  :smiley:

Edit: After reading the previous post I'm thinking about Jetseal as my future sealer now, is it better than EGP ?
« Last Edit: 08 November 2010, 15:20 by Uruk Hai »

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #12 on: 08 November 2010, 15:21 »
yep jetseal is a good choice and will give you what you want ie nice finish and good protection. glaze wise id say either blackhole or blackmax glaze then your chosen wax.
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline tg1

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 08 November 2010, 15:35 »
well the offers there if you wanna try some of what i have before you buy, but i've not got lp, or 109

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 08 November 2010, 16:41 »
well the offers there if you wanna try some of what i have before you buy, but i've not got lp, or 109

Where abouts are you mate ?

Offline tg1

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 08 November 2010, 16:52 »
Mangotsfield mate, but most often in fishponds if i'm doing stuff to the car.

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 08 November 2010, 16:56 »
Mangotsfield mate, but most often in fishponds if i'm doing stuff to the car.

Your about 5 minutes from me mate  :grin:

Thanks for the very generous offer, I shall no doubt be mulling it all over for a while before I decide but if I do fancy trying the Black hole I'll be in touch.  :smiley:

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 08 November 2010, 17:04 »
Just to expand on the subject would the ultimate combination be

Polish - Glaze - Sealer - Wax

and does it have its benifits or is it complete overkill ?

Purple Haze, I have looked at some of the other products you mentioned and to be honest I think they (for the momment at least) are a bit beyond what I feel capable of using correctly.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2010, 17:13 by Uruk Hai »

Offline tg1

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 08 November 2010, 18:08 »
well not forgetting, claying and washing first  :tongue:

my 2p is (baring in mind i'm not a pro or even a valeter and i'm probably off the mark a bit)

jetwash
shampoo
jetwash
clay/ tar removal
paint cleaner/polish (the megs deep crystal i've been using is 2 stage)
blackhole
poorboys wet mirror finish
natty blue paste wax

i done mine in september, and its still beading like a goodun now. its only had 2-4 quick wash & drys since. That said it did take me 2 days nearly to sort it out

I've not used much other than these products, but they made a massive difference to the depth of the paint. but i've never done the full lot before having the golf. only ever bothered to polish and wax a car before.

Offline Uruk Hai

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 08 November 2010, 18:33 »
Cheers mate, no pro myself but at the momment mine has had the following done to it for the winter :-

Clean wheels and seal (Poorboys wheel sealant)
Snow Foam (Valet Pro PH Neutral)
Two bucket wash (Dodo Juice BTBM)
Clay (Bilt Hamber Autoclay regular)
Polish (SRP, 1 coat on whole car and 2 or 3 around door handles, fuel flap ect.)
Sealer (EGP, 1 coat)
Wax (Dodo Juice Rain forrest rub, 1 coat)

I finished that today (not all in one day mind !) so the old shed should be good for the winter and I'll give it another coat of wax if I get the chance but doing it all outside means I'm a slave to the weather  :rolleyes:

I would try more products but I won't buy any more until a current product runs out or I suppose in extreme cases if a product was simply rubbish or I couldnt use it properly I would give it away or bin it and get a replacement. At the moment Jet seal is almost certain as my new sealer but I remain to be convinced about what to replace SRP with  :undecided: