Author Topic: Halford 3 for 2 ... Went a bit OTT  (Read 8167 times)

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
Halford 3 for 2 ... Went a bit OTT
« on: 03 July 2009, 15:04 »
Spent quite a bit and bought many things, one of them being three 1 Litre bottles of AutoGlym Super Resin Polish for £30 ... got the third one free.

Right, the only wax/polish products ive used in the past have been Meguiars NXT Tech Wax (good on my previous dark coloured/black car)
&
AutoSmart Cherry Glaze
(car dealers & bodyshops use it before handing the car over to their customers, it leaves a nice wetlook shine and super easy to use, but doesn't really rectify/fill any swirl marks etc which are noticeable in direct sunlight)

I have read that SRP is probably one of the best hand polishes to use? either way, I was nearly out of Wax but still have a bit left to last a while so im thinking of giving my car a few coats of Super Resin Polish and then applying the AutoSmart Cherry Glaze I have on top??

Dunno, just thought i'd start a topic to see people's thoughts on how they use their SRP ... and how often?
« Last Edit: 03 July 2009, 15:07 by DubSociety »

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
Re: Halford 3 for 2 ... Went a bit OTT
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2009, 17:31 »
I have used the cherry glaze in the past. It does give a good shine and is very easy to use. Good product to use as a 'frequent use' top coat.

AG SRP is excellent, it has a little bit of 'cut' in it and fillers to mask swirls and scratches. Depending on the colour of your car, a couple of applications should really lift it.

If you really want a wet look, try some AG High Definition wax over the top of it - it's an excellent product and lasts for ages.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2009, 18:49 »
well you certainly like AG SRP?!  :huh:

wrt autosmart products - you should try Mirror Image instead of Cherry Glaze if you want to fill swirl slightly

also... if you have a dark/black car you might like to consider Poorboys black hole... that has swirl fillers and acts as a polish at the same time.

i never use SRP so cannot comment on that

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2009, 23:06 »
Used it today on dads black car ...

Why I never used AutoGlym years ago is beyond me ... the best polish ever, especially for the price. With a lot of elbow grease I managed to remove oxidations, and lots of blemishes that never shifted with just AutoSmart Cherry Glaze on its own. So what I did was, washed the car, applied 2 coats of SRP and then topped it off with Cherry Glaze ... my dads car is absolutely gleaming to say the least. Crystal smooth paintwork, and mirror reflections all round.

Can't wait to have a go on mine tommorow in time for Santa Pod this sunday ... just hope the weather holds out.

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2009, 23:10 »
AG SRP is excellent, it has a little bit of 'cut' in it and fillers to mask swirls and scratches.

Can definitely say yes it does because their was bird poo residues on my dads car which never shifted with hard elbow grease and other polishes, but with the SRP a good scrubbing in a up and down motion got rid of it nicely!!!!

I have one question though ... it's safe to use the polish after a weekly wash right, even though it has cutting abilities ?? obviously I wont give it that much elbow grease unless I notice a area which requires it.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2009, 23:17 »
cherry glaze has not been designed as a polish as such... it is a glaze... it just adds shine

so in the first instance your use of cherry glaze was incorrect but todays application was correct

however, you will find that you have even better results if you finish off with a coat of wax (or two or three)

wrt AG SRP - go easy with it... each time you use it you are using an abrasive action on your paintwork and lacquer... you will inevitably be inflicting swirl marks. it is not designed for weekly use. each time you use it you will be removing the glaze you have imparted from the previous wash.

if you wax and protect your paintwork you will only need to de-wax and then clean, polish, glaze and wax every three months or so.

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2009, 23:30 »
Whats a good recommended Wax then? ... and your right Cherry Glaze is a Glaze, it bloody said so on the tin! LOL

Seems like the supply of Polish/Glaze I have at the minute will last forever if I only need to do it once a month. Just got to add a good Wax now.

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2009, 00:19 »
Whats a good recommended Wax then? ... and your right Cherry Glaze is a Glaze, it bloody said so on the tin! LOL

Seems like the supply of Polish/Glaze I have at the minute will last forever if I only need to do it once a month. Just got to add a good Wax now.

hence why i said in my first post... well you certainly like AG SRP!!  :laugh:

good waxes... you can spend as much as you want... but collinite do good waxes... 915 is a good collinite wax

although if you are only buying from halfords and if you are a major AG fan then consider the AG HD wax which I believe you can buy in halfords

Offline Conker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2009, 00:59 »
I use SRP as a base for Collinite 476s if I'm doing a "big wash".

To avoid excessive polishing, you can lightly buff the SRP onto the paint, let it haze and then buff off, that way your getting the benefit of the fillers, without over doing the cut element.

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2009, 07:42 »
I use SRP as a base for Collinite 476s if I'm doing a "big wash".

To avoid excessive polishing, you can lightly buff the SRP onto the paint, let it haze and then buff off, that way your getting the benefit of the fillers, without over doing the cut element.

Yup thats what I meant when I said can I use it regularly but obviously only buffing it on and off lightly instead of trying to cure defects which would only be achieved through hard pressure.

Guy I had a look at the HD Wax but its a bit expensive aint it ... £40 for a tub of nothing ... the whole reason I spent £30 and got three 1 litre bottles of AG SRP is simply because I know it'll be used all the time now on all the cars in the household. I also got about 1 an a half litres of Cherry Glaze left from a 5L Drum. And thats lasted me over a year and a half now.